Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how much rust can be machined out of a block?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jul 7, 2002.

have a sb 350 that i had out back for a while under a tarp then moved into the garage where it sat for several months. well durring its time out in the yard the tarp blew off and it got rained on. pulled the heads off this weekend and pulled the drain plug on the pan and got about 5 quarts of water out of it! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif the back 2 cylinders on each side have a good bit if rust as do the corisponding valves on the heads. the water probably sat in there for 3 months. haven't pulled the pan yet to look at the crank- scared to. the motor was a builder to start with. had a bad knock. so is i worth taking to the machine shop or should i send it to the junkyard?

1. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Tear it down and run it to the machine shop. 350s commonly take a 60 over. I am not sure how much further can be pushed out, but the machineist should be able to tell if its salvageable. You have nothing to lose but some time, and maybe an inspect fee.

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I agree, a good machine shop can tell. depending on year and casting, some can go over .060. some can only go .030. If your machine shop is friendly, they may try and cut it, and not charge you. but others are only in it for the cash.

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Yup take it to a good machine shop like Madras Auto Parts. They will be able to tell you if it is worth the cost to save it. If it isnt savageable I will help you out with another block for free. I have 3 rebuildable cores in my garage with no place to put them when I move!