Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much shim?shackle length?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Toledo, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

Just reworked front lift. Have 6" ez rides, 1" zeros moved forward one inch, and shackles guessing 1/2" longer. I have 2.5 degree shims in it that I had laying around. Will these work well for good road manners or should I go with something more? Not as much worried about pinion angle as I am road manners since I have a divorced T-case that can be moved as needed. Also what are yall using for shackle bolts I am having a hard time finding a strong bolt that is that long and skinny. Can someone also give me the length of a stock shackle, hole to hole, mine were torn up and I may change my shackle length as needed. My current shackles are sitting with the bottoms slightly forward. Is that where they should be?

sorry for the rambling but thanks for any help in advance.

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The shackles should not be sitting forward. That makes for a terrible ride. They should be sitting backwards towards the t-case. Reason being, whenever the shackle has to move in it's current position, it has to "pick up" the truck to move backwards as the spring gets longer. It stresses the shackles and could very well be why you can't find a bolt strong enough.

As for the other stuff, I wish I could help ya.

3. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

So would a longer or shorter shackle fix that? What you are saying makes since just dont know how to fix it. Or is it a spring length concern that cant be fixed with a different length shackle?

4. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Did you add new 6" EZ Rides or have an old set re-arched? Either one of those could account for the spring looking too short and pulling the bottom of the shackle toward the front. It wont ride or flex as well like that, With a 1" offset toward the front I wouldn't think 2 degrees is unreasonable. You can upgrade the front bushings to poly and go with a 1/2" bolt in the frame and a 9/16 bolt in the leaf spring, both grade 8. The stock shackles are 4" eye to eye, and you should be able to run up to 1" over stock without problems. One half inch longer is enough to clear the springs without changing the front end geometry too much. If your shimming it anyhow, you can afford to add more at the shackle and make up for it at the shim.

6. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

I have new EZ rides. Are you saying not to worry and with a little time they will flatten out? Thanks a lot for all the other answers. I assume eye to eye means center of eye and not closest edge