Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much shoud this cost

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DUKE, Mar 20, 2002.

1. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Ok, I know this is pathetic but i cant get the timing right myself, i suck. plus i dont own a light or a tack, and my buddies sucks and i cant see mark very well, whine whine whine. Anyway whats a fair price to have a shop do it? guy i talked to said it would take about half an hour. seems right? Ive never gone to a shope before fore anything so i dont know what the going rate is for the stuff.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It shouldn't cost more than $40 or so.

I set my timing without a light...always have. I leave the hold down bolt just snug and then drive it. I keep advancing the timing a little at a time until it starts to ping under light acceleration, then I back it off a little. This has always worked well for me.

Rene

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Dude, this is a simple thing. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif All ya gotta do to see the mark on the balancer better is wipe off the area on the balancer where the mark is. Also wipe off the degree marker doo-hicky. Get soemthing like white out, or white paint or something, and mark along the line. Loosen the distributor hold down bolt and aim the light at the balancer. Turn the distributor untill the line on the balancer lines up with the proper mark on the degree marker. Mine calls for 8 degrees BTDC. So I line it up on the mark the corresponds to 8 degrees BTDC. Simple as that. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Hope that helped. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

It should not cost much at ashop. If you want to do it yourself then
    1. pull the distributor shaft and the #1 sparkplug.
    2. gently kick the engine over until you feel a puff of air then stop. This puts it TDC (top dead center)
    3. Put the distributor back in so that the rotor cap is facing as forward as possible. this isnt necessary just makes life easier. You may have to kick it over for 2 or three puffs to get it to this point you'll just have to check it each time.
    4. Whenever you do just make sure that when you put the distributor cap back on it is facing directly at where the #1 wire connects. Thats why you want it to face forward to make life easier.
    You will only be off a degree or 2. just turn it slowly left or right until it purrs right.

This might save you 40 bucks. Not trying to make you feel bad or anything. just seeing if this might help. Works just as good as a light. Hoipe it helps

Nathan

5. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I know how simple it is and i did the white out deal but i just cant see it, maybe i am just a but daft. I have been doind the constant addjustment like you said rene for the last few months, but it never seems to last long.
    I dont get it, i've done work on my truck, well obove my abilities and knowhow ( thank entirely to the help at this wonderful wonderful place ) but simple things like my damn stereo, timing, and rear window are much bigger bi-otches than all the other stuff ive plulled off.
    i dunno sometimes i wonder. i wish i woulda taken auto shop in high school.

6. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Hey t rusty I will have to try that method. Ever have any starting problems?? I just messed with my timing today cause when I had a shop put the 4 barrel on they didnt tighten the distributor back down so the timing was changing. GRRRR. yeah 30 to 40 buscks would be about right. Also I didnt bother to look at where you live but add a degree of timing for every 2000 feet in elevation. Mine is normally set at 11 degrees. I have a problem on my engine though the harmonic balencer slipped so the timing marks are off. Just do it by using the tack and how it sounds.

7. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

I was not aware of that technique 69k5, i will have to give her a go, i would like to have it TDC im always just off.

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I don't know if this is a UNIVERSAL requirement.....but I was told on my '72 that I need to unplug the vaccuum line and plug the hose, before I try to do a timing adjustment.

Perhaps the newer K5's don't need to do this step (maybe the distributors aren't vaccuum advance?) but I thought I'd mention it.

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My mechanic charges me $45 for timing, and carb adjustment. He is a friend of mine, and has done all the work on my truck (that I don't do) for years.

10. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

duke, When the timing mark is at 0 your #1 cylinder will be at TDC, then you just need to figure out if it's the compression stroke, or exhaust stroke.

11. tRustyK5

When it's 'right' it starts good and doesn't ping under load. When it's a bit too advanced it is a beotch to start...too retarded and it seems a little sluggish.

The trick is to get it where it's running perfect and then tighten up the hold down so it doesn't move. (duh.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif)

Rene

12. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Can you clearify this, Advanced would be counterclockwise, and retarded would be clockwise right?

13. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

If you still have the ECM hooked up in your 85, you need to unplug the wires in the back of the dist, then set the timing. 85's have an electronic advance so if you try to time it while its plugged in it'll run rough. Ask me how I know /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif
    Hope this helps.

14. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Greg,

What vacuum line? In my shade tree mechanicing I probaly just took it off anyway, but i didnt do that on mine.

15. tRustyK5

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Can you clearify this, Advanced would be counterclockwise, and retarded would be clockwise right?

<hr></blockquote>
    Yes.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rene

16. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

thanks

17. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> I have never been able to use a gun either, I just do like Rene and adjust it between pinging and sluggish take off under acceleration ....... My 65 Impala is timed that way and it screams just right !