Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how much should i charge per mile for transportation?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Nov 19, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

so i'm driving down to phoenix this december for christmas with my family (and a wheelin trip w/ the ck5 group there!). i posted up on craigslist that i could transport stuff if someone needed something brought down. well, the person wants something taken to tucson, which is another hour - hour and a half beyond phoenix and i wasn't originally planning on going down there. now, it seems unreasonable to me to charge per mile from here to phoenix, as i was going there whether or not someone wanted me to bring something. so how much should i ask for to bring something to phoenix? and then how much per mile should i ask to take it to tucson - i know it should cover a bit more than my fuel b/c it's time and fuel to tucson. i run a 6.2/465/and 410s in the diff - so fuel mileage is quite reasonable - upper teens, or 20 mpg. what do you think?

2. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

whats fuel cost there? i would say its worth 50-70 cents a mile more than fuel... plus a flat fee of 50 bucks to handle the merchandise...

3. ChickenRammit

ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

why can't the person just come to phoenix if its only an hour away?

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

So at 20 mpg and diesel at 2.79 (here at least) and hour to hour and a half drive... looking at 120 miles round trip. Thats 6 gallons of diesel, so 18 bucks for fuel. Then you time, both picking it up and delivering it, figure 3-4 hrs I know what i get paid and hour, and what my time is worth. Id say at least 75 bucks.

5. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

the person is portland. i'd be bringing it from oregon to south az. ;)

so maybe i'd just charge about 100 to 120 total - maybe more depending on how much work the stuff is to haul around.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My company pays me $0.415 per mile to drive my truck if that helps. Even with maintainence figured in I still make about $0.18-$0.20 per mile roughly. My truck is also a diesel that I get 18-20mpg.

Harley

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Most professional transporters get around $1.00 a mile this includes fuel.