Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much should I expect to pay for an engine rebuild??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JaymzLD, Jun 11, 2003.

1. JaymzLD

JaymzLD Registered Member

I have a 1986 K10 Blazer with the carbed 305 in it. I think I am in need of a rebuild and am wondering how much should I expect to pay on a rebuild kit? If I do decide to rebuild it and not just put a crate motor in there I will bore it out to 327, if possible more. I know someone who is interested in helping me for free so I dont think Ill have to pay labor charges. But if that route doesnt work out, how much labor is involved and what can I expect to pay for it if I have to have it done at a shop? Thank you for your help.

2. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Put $2500-3000 aside as a minimum if a shop touches it. Maybe $1500 if you have some "buddies" help you out. But alot depends on how much you need/want done. Boring requires new pistons and a balance job. Lots of options and sources for parts at various prices from good to down right terrible. Figure on a new water pump, plug wires, dist. cap & rotor, spark plugs, oil & filter, fuel pump if it's very old/high mileage, thermostat, fan belts, for just some of what should be considered. Really hard to beat one of GM's crate engines. For around $1300 you can get a 350/240hp that will shame a 305.

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I wouldent put much money in a 305 If your gonna rebuild somthing go get a junkyard 350 but I agree the goodwrench 350 might not be a bad idea espically because there CHEAP and built by GM. I think everything they dont have you can pull of your 305

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I also agree with the GM crate motor route. You'll get more for your money with the piece of mind of a warrentee. Now you just need to decide if you want a basic 350, or something with alittle more grunt. When the time comes for me, I'll be drueling over a 383-HT.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't waste your time with the 305 if you get a complete 350 to build for cheap/free, or go buy a crate motor. If you plan on modifying the engine, build it yourself, typically you can't get a "good" deal on a performance crate engine. At least not compared to what you could build one for.

It takes a fair amount of money to get power out of a 305, and unless you are absolutely satisfied with how the 305 performs for you, the 350 is a better investment by far. 305 should *theoretically* get you better mileage, but thats it. A 305 has work harder than a 350 to get and keep like vehicles moving, and doesn't do it as well.

6. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

305=Boat anchor. The one in my truck was rebuilt by the PO, and performs ok, for a 6 cyl. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

John

7. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

iagree with everyone,for the money buy a crate engine. i bought the $1300.00 350. the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty is worth it. a friend of mine bought the 502 crate, forgot to put oil in it,and the only thing the made him do was bring the car in so they could hear it. then they said pull it out and they gave him a new one.