Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how much should i expect to pay to replace my 4L80E

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beater74, Oct 4, 2004.

1. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i gotta 98 3500 4x4 with a 4l80e. it looks like i will need a new tranny soon. i checked my tranny fuild this weekend and i looks like the previouse owner filled the transmission with motor oil /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. i still runs fine and shifts fine but i know it's days are numbered.

so how much should i expext to pay some one to replace it with either a new or a rebuilt one /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

How do you know it's motor oil? ATF will turn black and look like motor oil when it get's old/dirty/burnt.

My dad had someone replace the 4L60E in his '97 burb after it took a dump. I think the shop charged about $1500 for everything.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I had the 4L80E in my crew cab rebuilt a year ago this week for $1700 (R&R labor included).

4. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if it is still working fine why not just drain, flush, change the filter and then reservice it correctly? If it is somehow still shifting correctly with motor oil maybe the damage is negligible.

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have a hard time believing it would still be shifting fine if filled with motor oil...............

6. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How do you know it's motor oil? ATF will turn black and look like motor oil when it get's old/dirty/burnt.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeh i agree i am having a hard time beliving hat i was motor oil and if it was how did the tranny last so long. BUT the fluid in it had NO red tint to it at all not even a little knida close. he fluid was black and more clear if that makes any sence /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif.

but it could have just been really burn tranny fluid.

i have had it power flushed and fliter changed and all is good so i'll keep my fingers crossed.

7. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

i have heard newer trannies and fluid are not like the old days. "pink with no stink" is not the general rule. new fluid will get dark. just shouldn't smell burnt!