Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much should I expect to pay...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jekbrown, Nov 21, 2001.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I am looking to do a shock upgrade like the UAVs...question: how much should I expect to pay someone to fab me one of those between-the-frame-rail crossmembers that the top of the rear shocks mount to, and to mod the existing mounts on the axels? Both informed estimatations and wild guesses are appreciated! ;)

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

HEY another North West CK5'er.[​IMG]

I got all my metal for free, just had to buy the spring perches. I have $17 into it and about that for the 4 grade 8 bolts, washers and nuts. If you went to a shop you are looking at $45 per hour at the very least for labor. You are looking at a 4 hour job, or so depending on what kinda brackets and mounts you use. If the shop has done them before then it would be quicker. I would make a guess of $150 to $200 for parts and labor.

Do you know of anyone that can weld? What shocks you running or gonna run? I could make you some brackets and make you a sweet deal, The crossmember could bolt in but the axel mounts have to be welded.

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Try www.missourioffroadoutfitters.com Im not familiar with the shock mount on UAV, but I believe they sell what youre looking for.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html>http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html</a>

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Hey Jeremy, are you interested in fabbing one of those up? Might be able to 'hire' you to build one for me...............my truck has a clearance issue with Steve Frisbie's because my fuel pump is mounted in the frame rail by the 'top' of the frame as it goes up..........if you know what I mean. PIcs on my site of the pump location.............what do you think?

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Frank, I looked over you pics of the fuel pump location and I could make one that bolts to the bottom of the frame rail. If the pump sits back far enough in the frame I could use some c-channel and bolt to the top and bottom of the frame. for the axel mount I would just use angle iron with a shock stud. Let me know if you are interested, I would be glad to build you one.

When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

6. jekbrown

Jeremy,

always good to hear from someone in the NW...I dunno what the rest of the country is doing, but we have some sweet rigs out here. =p The guy that won the top truck challenge (big burb) was from vancouver, WA after all. ;) Anyway...

Unfortunately I dont have any buddies that weld. =( I want to run ProComp 3000 extended travel shocks (13.5" of travel). If you could hook me up with a good deal on the crossmember for this, that'd be sweet!! I am gonna do the shock upgrade when I swap in the ff14b, which will prolly happen early this spring....and if I had the hardware ready to do it, it'd go faster (at a welder-buddies pad or in the shop, either way). Any-who, how much would ya need and what measurements would you require?

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown

7. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Hey Jekbrown, How much for your 10 blt ff after you get
    your 14 blt ff?-Jim

88 5.7 5in lift 35"procomp at's
    700-208-456-3in exh w/flowlowder 10 bolts & some ORD stuff

8. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

You could also talk to Rene, aka tRusty...he's DEFINITELY not afraid to make a little road-trip! FIRST-CLASS welder-fitter! He's in BC..not far at all.

9/11/01..Never forget...Never forgive

9. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

You could also talk to Rene, aka tRusty...he's DEFINITELY not afraid to make a little road-trip! FIRST-CLASS welder-fitter! He's in BC..not far at all.

9/11/01..Never forget...Never forgive

10. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

My father-in-law lives in Beaverton. He could store it for me
    till I could pick it up next vacation or untill I move up there.
    I would like to move to maybe the Gresham area. I put in some
    apps but got no replies. Strange I thought...Jim

11. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I sent a PM

55 Willy's

12. jekbrown

13. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Got it... thanks
    Jim