Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much should I offer on this nicely built 86 K5 diesel?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AJMBLAZER, Mar 6, 2002.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Hey guys, long time no post/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Selling my 92 IFS Blazer and want a K5. Problem is I live in Michigan and we have Automotive Genocide here, also known as winter and road salt. I've looked at over 10 K5's in the past few months, ranging from so so to great looking from the sides, but then I crawl under and they're all rusted to he$l./forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Imagine my surprise when I see this Blazer with a for sale sign in it today. Here's it's specs:

1986 Chevrolet Blazer Silverado
    -6.2L diesel that was blueprinted and balanced, about 75,000 on it
    -TH700R4 that was rebuilt with offroading in mind (not quite sure what that means, but gonna ask/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif)
    -D44 front out of a '73 K5 with Warn lock outs
    -10 bolt rear axle with posi, 3.73's in both
    -dual 2.5" exhaust, looks like stainless
    -Smittybilt roll cage
    -4" all spring lift, not sure what kind, with Rancho RS5000 shocks
    -33x12.5R15 BFG AT's on 15" American Racing aluminum rims (forget the name, but the ones with no holes in them)
    -full options, tilt/cruise/PW/PL,AC
    -interior looks nice, good front seats out of a 1991 Suburban
    -CB
    -fire extinguisher
    -This is a big thing it has going for it. No rust. Other than minor surface rust on the undersides and suspension, this thing is virgin. Definately not a Michigan truck, or this thing has only been out of a garage in the summer. Paint is okay, but definately 16 years old. More than good enough for a daily driver, and nothing that is hideous or a risk of rust.

Guy wants $7500 for it, but he's out of his mind if he think's he'll get it. He's trying to get back what he's put into it. I think I'm gonna keep an eye on it and wait a few weeks while my Blazer comes out of the body shop, and then goes up for sale. Hopefully it'll still be around (it will be if he keeps this price up), and then go in with cash in had and see what he does.

So how much would you pay? How much would you offer?

Keep in mind this isn't Arizona. 5 year old vehicles have rust on them here. So he is warranted in asking a bit more for it because it looks to be well built and has no rust, but not that much. The newer IFS Blazers and Yukons are starting to go for that much if they have 120,000 on them or so. So for the market he won't get that.

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

thought you were king of the $5000 or less straight axle swap.
    wouldnt it make more sense to do that to your current ride?
    not doing it kinda makes you a
    hmmm cant think of a nice word to end that with

3. AJMBLAZER

I can still do it, just don't have the money for it. Need the extra $$$ I can get for my current Blazer to fix some of my life's mistakes. Hopefully I can get this thing for a good price, and do both.

Call me whatever you want. I'm not going to "forum argue or fight" with any more of you guys from Truckworld.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

yeah i know, you will just jump to a different forum and slag from a distance.

5. lifted95z71

lifted95z71 1/2 ton status

hehe hey whats up mj

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Hmmm, I thought there were no rude people on CK5, I'm sorely dissapointed.....

Anyway, I'll catch you on the ORC BBS AJM, lot of acronyms there.....

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

are you replying to the right person.../forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Id offer what you think its worth, I paid $5000 for mine (to much) rust free, but worth it to me, I wanted it bad and wanted a diesel.

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Sounds like a nice truck, but there;s one thing that seems odd to me. The motor screams "REBUILD" because of the fact that the owner brags about balancing and blueprinting(not to mention the low mileage).

How many miles are on the truck??? That would be my main concern. Secondly, why did the original motor blow? Was it due to a lack of maintenance? If so, how well maintained is the rest of the truck? Why is the tranny replaced? By 86 a lot of the bugs were worked out the 700r4, so did the tranny let go because of abuse?

Before you consider buying the truck you should get the owner to show you some reciepts and try to get a better idea of the repair history.

10. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

AJM,

Hey, I'm from Mich and its a rare to find a vehicle with little rust for an 1986. It sounds like he has done some decent mods to the Blazer. I would keep an eye on it for a few weeks and then show up with like $4500 cash and see what he says. It sounds like it is almost perfect but, try to find some things wrong with it so you can use that as ammo to talk down the price.

Good luck. I hope you find a "real" Blazer soon.

11. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I wonder why they put a D44 front in it and left the 10 bolt out back? I hope the gears are the same. $4000-$5000

12. AJMBLAZER

I talked to the guy today. He got it 5 years ago, it is a Southern truck, and since he's owned the thing it has spent the period of late October to April of each year in his garage./forums/images/icons/cool.gif It's his toy, daily driver, and Silver Lake dune truck. He's selling it because he has his first kid on the way, and needs a plow truck for his business. So he has to get something that seats 2 and a baby seat and can plow, but he's not going to plow with this thing. So that means he has to sell something, and the wife wasn't to receptive to him selling her truck./forums/images/icons/laugh.gif So it goes up on the curb so he can get something to plow snow with and drive the new family around in./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

When he got it 5 years ago it was mostly stock. Truck's odo says 133,000 on it. Not sure about the engine, forgot to ask him about that. He had the tranny rebuilt because it felt a bit weak when he got it, and his intention from the beginning was to play on the dunes with it, so he had it built up before he broke it up there and had to pay a huge towing bill./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Had his buddy who owns a tranny shop here in town rebuild it. All the good TH700R4 beef parts./forums/images/icons/cool.gif He's not sure about the leaf springs, he got them from a buddy of his who had them on a truck he bought for parts. He says they ride fine. Since he duned with it I'd be they're a bit on the stiffer side.

He says he broke the front 10 bolt when he misjudged something on the dunes and got more air than he thought he would. Bent both tubes./forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Kinda scary, but I do think it's good he tells me this. He coulda just said the diff munched itself and he had this thing laying around.

A 10 bolt and D44 are the same on strength, so I'm not worried about it. No matter what truck I get, eventual plan is at least a 3/4 ton axle swap with 14FF in the rear, so as long as it drives me around, I'm not to worried. Not much to rock crawl here in Michigan. The Gov-Loc in it worries me a bit. The one in my 92 works fine (well, normal, so it rarely helps at all), so for what I can afford to do right now, it should be fine.

I talked to a lot of the body shop and garage owners and mechanics I deliver to today, and all of them said for a rust free 86 K5 they'd pay about 3000-5000. Most didn't like the idea of it being a diesel, but a lot of people up here still hold that old stereotype of diesels as hard to start, bad running, lack of power, etc for some reason. I drove 6.2L's in 7000lb HMMWV's, so it'd be fine for me in a K5. My main criteria on whatever I get is 350 or 6.2L, no 305 boat anchors. Already had one of those./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

13. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

If he's jumped it hard enough to bend an axle housing you might want to look further. That's what I'd call a "hard use" truck. Can be good because he's and enthusiast and more inclined to do stuff right but it's hard to ignore a K5 that's flown. Does it drive straight? Is the frame around the steering box OK? How about the rear shock mounts? Probably cracks going there I would guess. Just look it over good since you knew it flew.

14. AJMBLAZER

He tells me he wasn't trying to jump it that hard, and didn't want to beacuse he knew it wasn't set up for or just plain up to that. Says the little sand hill surprised him and he ended up breaking it. He could be blowing smoke, or he could be dead level with me, don't know yet. You are right though, I am going to look over it some more, especially for the things you mentioned./forums/images/icons/cool.gif It was after his business' closing time when I looked at it yesterday, and today I just called him. Think when I take my truck into the body shop I'll see if I can take it for a spin. At least I'll crawl around it some more.

Wonder if he would want to trade me for my Blazer..........good family vehicle and a lot of people around here push snow with 1/2 ton IFS trucks. Lord only knows why./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif