Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how much should it cost????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by greywolf, Aug 8, 2002.

1. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

i dropped my front driveshaft of to get u joints put in,the guy tells me the u-js are $7.00 a pop,cool!go to pick it up WHACK!!!!! $90.00 please..... is this cool? or did i not feel the reach around? because for some more money i could have baught a new 1 right? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Did they at least supply the vaseline for that reaming? /forums/images/icons/mad.gif The shop I go to charges me about $15 each for the joints (Spicer non greasable) but generally puts them in for free. If he's busy he'll charge like $5 a pop, but that's worth the time it saves me, so no biggie. $70 to install 2 joints is highway robbery. </font color>

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

dudue.. i pay 22.50 with spicer greasable installed...

You got raped...

Sorry man... /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

4. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

ok,next? the front yoke, when it slides should it breathe?and should there be grease(try to follow)the yoke slides on the shaft at full compresion grease showed up at top of yoke
    /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

You said the front driveshaft right? The CV joint is a bitch to do. Did you ask him what he did? If you needed that little ball joint in the middle replaced, I could see $90. I do all my own ujoint work so I dont know, but you can put aside $10 for each joint (3) and remember that CV takes a while. Comes apart a certain way, goes together a certain way. And that little ball in the middle sometimes has to be replaced. Just something to keep in mind. No way I'd just charge $22 bucks to install ujoints on a front driveshaft AND provide the ujoints. But I like making a profit, that's just me.

Bryan

6. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I agree with LAKETEX if he rebuilt the CV arm and joint along with the U-joints.. $90 is about right.

Usually, when you drop off the front shaft, either they are going to build them right or they won't do it. If your going that far into a front CV, you might as well have te joint rebuilt too.

The driveshaft guys (around here) rely heavily on their reputation. I was trying to get a semi-good driveshaft redone. Nobody would touch it. They wanted to do a full rebuild because of it's condition.

It's like signing their name on it. Would you want some piece of crap out there with your name on it?

BTW: A NEW front CV shaft goes for ~$225 here.

7. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

dont tell me you expected to pay $14.00. i would try to be realistic here, a guy goes into business to make a profit noting wrong here, i mean he doesnt do it to make friends. i cant even by u-joints in town here for 14 dollars. now i would be upset that the guy wasent up front with you about his pricing. nice thing about america is you dont have to buy someones product if you dont like him, the prices, service etc...

now when i replaced my rear u-joints my self it took around an hour of my time. i dont know about the others on this board but i feel my time is valuable so i never just factor in part costs when figuring a job. best thing is you know you dont want to go back to that place.

8. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

ok, it was the cv kit and labor but nobody told me about the kit they just put it in.i understand the profit thing,being a small business man (auto detailing).
    but they could have called me and said this bad.
    these guys charge 40 to cut aand 40 to balance,nice! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

ya' gotta pay to play /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

go work on a truck!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif ,disney is comming you better be there! sarah is going with me,first time out for all 3
    hoping to make it a family thing...speaking of paying to play, you've paid plenty now play.
    just say no! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif