Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much should new balljoints cost???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerWheels, Jul 16, 2003.

1. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

How much should it cost to have the balljoints replaced (both upper and lower)?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I have never done it myself, nor do I have the time right now.

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

maybe a couple hours labor...

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Prices are going to vary a bit, but i was quoted 4.2hrs labor + parts. I said screw that, and bought some MOOG ball joints and did it myself.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

it's between $70 and $110 for ball joints and I had a shop quote me $500 to drive in and drive out.

I'm doing them myself..why spend $400 to not learn how.

5. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

If you are near San Diego you can get a set(1 upper and 1 lower) of Spicer balljoints from Border Parts for $45.00 per side...

6. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Dude,

Drop by a Harbor Freigt & tool store, buy a balljoint tool, around 40 buck, and buy the balljoints from napa, arond 100 bucks for all four and replace them yourself, it's not that hard, and it's much cheaper than getting them done, last time I did mine, it took around 4 hours for both sides upper and lower and I even did wheel bearing and spindle bearings.

Rob

7. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

If you take it to a shop the book time will be about 4 hrs per side just for the ball joints.
    And while the shafts are out ya might as well do the u-joints. Another hour.
    Parts are usualy marked up 50% in a repair shop.
    And most shops will not let you supply the parts.
    Generaly about $650 at a shop.
    Before my puter screwed up I had a link to a members write up on ball joint replacement that was a kick ass how to. Maybe someone will post it up.
    Another option is to find someone in your area who does side work. Then you can supply the parts and the labor rate is negotiable.
    I think I charged Frank 9 hrs labor and I replaced the ball joints, u-joints and bearings/races.

8. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up with some MOOG ball joints at a good price.

I was quoted around $200 per side and that includes the alignment. I ended up just doing it myself and paying for an alignment.

9. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Registered Member

10. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

Well, here there is a backyard mechanic (use to wrench at a local shop...retired now) said he would replace both sides, uppers and lowers for $230, includign balljoints,...I don't know what brand he plans on using, if I provide the parts, he will put them in for just the labor...I will be sending a PM for those MOOG's, at least that way I know they are good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif