Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much slack is normal in a Detroit locker

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bajaviking, May 5, 2003.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I am checking on this for a friend, he just installed one and he feels that there is to much slack in it. How much is normal.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Alot... It's probably ok, everyone is amazed when they first see the amount of slack...

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

service manual states 10deg or more at the ring gear
    multiply that by the gear ratio and that is what the pinion will look like /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

you could tell him it is trashed and offer to trade him your open dif to 'help him out of that jam'

4. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I could try that but I think our friendship would end in an ugly way, bodyparts(like my arms and legs) and drivetrain parts all over the garage floor in a big ugly mess. Also he is the one that helps me install all my junk so I better behave. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

There was a big discussion on this some time ago, and the concensus was 1/8 to 1/4 turn was normal.

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

a ton. i got deee-troits front and rear and the slack is the stuff legands are made of. mine could be measured in feet /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

7. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

my truck is the same as zakk's. i have them front and rear too and i can stand on one of my tires and rock it back and forth without the driveshaft even starting to move. pretty weird.

NITRO

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

agreed, mine turns back/forth quite a bit before stopping when i have a tire in the air and am taking the lug nuts off. Thought it was a lil wierd at first... but I guess its normal. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you'd like an entirely-too-detailed explanation of why it works that way, click on the link in my sig, then click on the "Technical" link at the left of the page. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks Guys! I thought I had a problem developing.

I get about 15-20 degrees. Noticed alot more now that I have the DL e-brake.

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

really good link you have there.
    turns out I already had it but hadnt looked at it before

12. HarryH3

I had grabbed that off the net 4 or 5 years ago, as it gives the best explantions of how various automatic lockers work that I've ever read. I'm glad I grabbed a copy when I did, as I've never seen it again since the authors web site went away. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I figured that a guy with that many patents on lockers probably knew what he was talking about! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

I just had this discussion on another board about 2 months ago cuz I noticed I had a ton of slack in my rear driveline. It turns out that 1/3 of a rotation in my burb would be expected with 4.10's and a ff14b rear w/detroit.

Seems crazy, doesn't it?

14. HarryH3

Hey Wade, do you happen to recall who answered that question for ya? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

15. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Let me guess....
    Your Next question will be...
    Does your Detroit BANG ALL the time??? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

16. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey Wade, do you happen to recall who answered that question for ya? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, not off the top of my head, but I'd bet a safe guess would be...uh...YOU? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

I just installed mine tonight. Then I drove it home 30 miles. I knew there would be some, but I wasn't expecting so much. I get a much harder bang when shifting to drive or reverse. There is definately more lag time from coast to power, etc. It was however, quieter and smoother than I expected. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

18. LIFSVR7

LIFSVR7 Registered Member

OK so not to jack the post .. is this the same in the Quicklok's too??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have a Lock-Right in my DD. There's quite a bit of slop in it, so I'd assume a quick-loc would be the same way.

Every time I step on the clutch, I hear a clunk of it unlocking, and when I release it again, I hear a click of it locking back up. I can't even hardly hear it anymore I'm so used to it, but its definitely there.

20. LIFSVR7

LIFSVR7 Registered Member

Well hell that will suck then, I have a manual... not too sure I wanna hear that all the time, and is that good for it? I mean its gotta wear out then huh?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif