Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much slip in the yoke on a front driveshaft?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I just blew out the CV joint in my front drive line the other day. I have another drive shaft to use, but it is about an 1" shy of bolting in, and thats fully closed. So if I just have it shortened 1" there won't be any slip in the yoke...So basically, what I'm asking is, If it's 1" too long, how much do I need to have it shortened? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Call your driveline shop and they will give you the math to figure out how long it needs to be. They already know how much room there is in the slip joint so they will ask you to measure the centerline to centerline of the joints, then they know what to do from there.

3. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I just went thru this last week, my front driveshaft was toast and I had a good one that was too long. I just put the bad one up next to the other and marked the one to be modified, cut the new one to legnth, ground the weld down where I could get the splined shaft out and welded it back onto the shaft. I believe the the donor shaft was from a truck with a 203 case so it was about 3 to 3-1/2 inches too long. I got it back in my truck and gave it a good torture test Sunday and it held up fine. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

does it really matter, Joe? you'll break it either way /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Yeah.....what Scott said! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I will add don't go to Bayshore Truck for driveshaft work. They are good at setting up new gears, but they "did me wrong" on a front driveshaft.

I would still trust South Bay Driveline (Steve is nice and gives a small discount to CK5 folks) and of course Jesse at High Angle....who took good care of me on the rear shaft and expedited it so I could go to Moab!

6. FWP

FWP CRS

Excellent question. I have yet to see anyone actually commit (in general) to a slip dimension. I am now going off of instinct and experience, and calling 50%- 35% of total slip length good, unless you have extreme travel droop and/or jump your truck. My .02 FWIW