Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much space between fenders and bumper?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Twiz, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I'm in the middle of building tube-bumpers, I'd like it snug, but alowing some space for body to frame movement.

How much space should I have between the body/fenders and the bumper?

An inch? More? What do you think.

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Id say an inch would be safe. Also depends on how much difference there is between the body and frame flex. New poly bushings and no body lift, not much flex. Old rubber w/ a body lift, (like me) lotsa flex.

I didnt realize how much flex I had till I looked at the pics of PI twisted up. Really suprised me.

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

This thing has a pile of frame flex. I modified the 'core support, so it has a single mount in the middle and two rubber bumpers at the frame. When it's twizted up, the 'core support lifts off one of the bumpers by couple of inches.
    Thats one of the ressons, I'm a-bit worried about haveing enough body to tube-bumper clearance.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Even with new poly mounts my body flex's enough that the hood pushes the top edge of the fender outwards and breaks the spot weld. I probably get 1 1/2" of body deflection at the bumper...

Rene

5. Pure Insanity

Yeah I forgot you did that. Do they hit now? If not prob. safe to say that whatever clearance you have now will work. Maybe a tad more for good measure. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. Pure Insanity

WOW! Thats a bunch of flex! Would it be possible to open up the gaps some?

Well yeah it is possible but how bad would it look I guess. I still havent adjusted the front end on PI since I put the front back on, so I dont know how much is possible.

7. tRustyK5

My bumper can't hit the body the way it's mounted. The rear face of the box tube passes in front of the front fascia...

I thought I'd get less body flex with new poly mounts...but there must be enough leverage when it's flexin i guess.

I have a pic of my truck on a ramp somehwere...I'll see if I can dig it up.

Rene

8. Pure Insanity

When I build mine Im gonna keep it in front as well and not wrap it around the sides. Ive been sitting here sketching out ideas for front and rear tonite as a matter of fact.

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah, I wheeled mine for the first time since changing to polly. I was concerned about tires hitting the fender since I had just gone to a larger tire so I left the sway hooked up. WOW front end was really moving around. I split a Energy suspension sway bar bushing LOL.
    I have been putting some serious thought to a cure. I'm running a ORD 1 inch body lift. so I have a little extra clearence.
    My thought is to put a mount in the center on a new crossmember and let the frame do it's thing. Might have to put some soft springs in the stock location to keep it even. The other issue is the fan shroude. Either go to an electric set up or mount the shoude to the engine and make some bellows to allow the body to do it's thing. I figure letting the body float over the frame out front would put much less stress on the body and stop stuff like jamed doors and poping welds on the fenders. The rear of my truck is not really a problem. I have a EXTRA heavy duty tail pan that is tied into the roll cage. With the polly's and the full cage it has stiffend up the rear of the truck and pretty well ended most of the frame flex. It's forcing the suspension to do the work now.
    Stephen Watson pretty well cage his truck front to rear including cage under the hood. Doing something simular would be the only way to stop the flex up front.

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I don't get it. What's the big deal. I don't have any problems with clearance between my bumper and fenders. Right now there is at least 3-4 feet between them. And I haven’t seen them move at all… /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

11. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

My thought is to put a mount in the center on a new crossmember and let the frame do it's thing. Might have to put some soft springs in the stock location to keep it even.

<hr></blockquote>

Thats exactly what I ended up doing Mr. Reaper.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

This thing has a pile of frame flex. I modified the 'core support, so it has a single mount in the middle and two rubber bumpers at the frame. When it's twizted up, the 'core support lifts off one of the bumpers by couple of inches.

<hr></blockquote>

It really works great, no more crushing the core support, no-more wedged doors. (stiiiill in the garage tho', I use a engine hoist to -flex it out and check my modifications)

12. tRustyK5

I should do the same...my fender 'welds' sheared for the third time tonight on a speed bump of all things. I guess i hit it a bit to fast. I think I have some other 'stresses' involved with the passenger fender though, possibly left overs from the wreck last year. Either way having to fix that fender is becoming a large thorn in my side./forums/images/icons/mad.gif

Rene