Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much spline is needed? 205 input question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shawn, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I'm trying to piece together a 2wd 4L80e and a NP205. There's a couple options I have. One option (thanks sweetk30) is a custom adapter/spacer between the 400/205 adapter and 4L80 trans. This would work perfect but then I still need a figure 8 adapter which I don't have yet.

The other option is to purchase a complete custom adapter from Advance Adapters for $300 that will fit the 2 together. This would save me from buying the spacer and 400/205 adapter and make it shorter. The only thing is I would have to do is cut off 1.5" from the 4L80's output shaft leaving 1.5" of spline left (32 spline). Is 1.5" enough???

Also, can someone tell me how far a 32 spline male shaft can go in to a NP205 input short shaft? I don't have my 205 back from the shop yet.

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Just to answer my own question in case someone else needs to know, Adavance Adapters suggest spline engagement should be at least 1.5 times the shaft diameter. So if your shaft is 1", you should have 1.5" of spline engagement.

I would assume the short shaft of the NP205 is at least 2" deep.