Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how much stuff can I take off a TBI without it running bad

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jjlaughner, Feb 10, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I have an 87 blazer TBI. What can I take off without affecting the performance?
    Charc. Can, air tubes, air bypass, that AIR system???
    /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The entire AIR system can come off, as can Evap AFAIK.

Won't hurt, nor will it help, performance. (Except MAYBE very slightly less mileage since you wouldn't be burning the fuel vapor)

I've seen evap run with ported vacuum instead of the switches GM used, (so basically, one hose from the cannister to engine) but I don't necessarily like that idea, since you COULD suck in raw gas or implode the gas tank theoretically.

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I know about implosion. hehe. Whatever you do, don't hook it to constant vacuum.

My 87 2wd pickup had the canister hooked directly to the throttle body on the front near the bottom.

I'd get rid of AIR, fix the vacuum tube hogwash, and eliminate the EGR if it's being a pain. There's no real reason to eliminate the canister or EGR unless it's giving you trouble.

4. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

Are you having problems with your engine that you are trying to fix by removing stuff??? If not......I would just leave it alone. There is not alot of gain by taking off the components. IMO. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jjlaughner

Well 2 things really.
    1. curiousty of what can be removed to simplicity sake without killing the ECM.
    2. I had the air tube from the exhaust manifolds come apart behind the motor (causing rough idles). So I have to remove the assembly pull it out, solder it back together and reinstall. Fairly straight forward I know. But if I was remove the air tubes, then I wouldn't really need the air pump. Thats one less thing to be belt driven. I was just curious as to what could be taken off without totally tripping up the computer or screwing with a sensor.
    Almost all headers I have looked up (sub $200 range) dont have the AIR system. I can weld on the bung or nut whatever for the O2 sensor no problem. But can I drill and weld in new peice for the AIR system also? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    So I threw out a broad question to see what came out of it. Without saying what headers or what can I do with these AIR tubes? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

6. dyeager535

I believe the Edelbrock TES headers come with AIR ports. To be smog legal, the headers have to.

7. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure summit racing sells the air tube system retrofit for any header set that didn't have it to begin with. It's up to you if you want to save the money trying to jam those things on there (drilling/welding) or just spend the money and buy a set that has them already.
    smack

8. jjlaughner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Almost all headers I have looked up (sub $200 range)

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time I priced the edelbrock stuff (which is cool I know) it was not in the SUB $200 range, more like $450 range /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jjlaughner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'm pretty sure summit racing sells the air tube system retrofit for any header set

[/ QUOTE ]
    Really? Do you have to drill and weld the new setup also or they do it?

10. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Well I couldn't find it in the Summitt Catalog so I called for you and the guy I spoke to found the part number. It's made by Headman and it's their Air-Injection retrofit kit which requires YOU to drill into EACH primary tube to install this thing. It's $57.39 part no. HED-22830.

11. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

wrathorc,
    where is the canister supposed to be hooked up to? mine is hooked up how you describe I believe. on the front near the bottom.

12. dyeager535

Actually I think if Summit or Jegs listed his exact ones, they'd be around $300-350. If he is looking at $200 headers, plus $60 AIR add-on kit, whats another $40 for no additional work/chance of screw up? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I did see that they have C3500 STAINLESS TES headers for the '87+ crew cabs, for $520 or so. Not bad really for stainless, now if they only offered them for all the 73-87 style trucks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. jjlaughner

SEE! This is why I didn't want to start another, WHAT HEADER thread!? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

14. dyeager535

I hope you are not saying that me spending my time looking up a part for you to compare prices with, in essence offering what I consider a viable option that is still economical, was a waste of your time.