Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how much time for sas swap

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by highlow, Feb 14, 2007.

1. highlow

highlow 1/2 ton status

I am planning on having my truck converted to a solid axle soon, but I need to know roughly how many hours does this take to do? Has anyone had a shop do this for them and remember how long it took? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

as a person who installs stuff like this and works at a auto shop. its hard to say. every ride is diffrent when it comes down to this stuff. every time i do a new to me kit it takes longer than book time. but then i can do them no probleems after that .

you need to find a good quality shhop and one that has done this kind of kit swap before. or you will end up over budget and with problems. a sas is not a super easy bolt on kit. every sas is a little diffrent. make sure you get a quality kit for your needs. and also dont forget driveline work and the need for crossover steering minimum.

and you will need a drivers drop frt axle if you have a 4x4 to start with. if not then plan on a tranny tail shaft swap or rebuild at same time unless you find a used good 4x4 setup. or you could look for a divorced 205 case and run that behind the 2x4 tranny. this would help with driveline angles also as its mounted farther back for a longer driveline.

so in all its a major build project to under take. but if you have found the need for sas on the ifs truck style its worth it in the long run for sure. dont forget most kits add min 3" over the lift spring specs ex: 4" lift springs + sas kit = 7 lift. it adds up quickly.

3. Cajun4x4

Cajun4x4 1/2 ton status

ill let you know in about a month :wink1:

4. highlow

highlow 1/2 ton status

Hey it's been a month

5. Cajun4x4

Cajun4x4 1/2 ton status

for the front i started at like 4 pm on friday and the truck was driving and all the tools where picked up at 6 pm saturday... the rear swap took about the same amount of time with the bed pulling, spring perch welding, shackle flip redrilling and all that mess

id rather do 2-3 SASs rather than 1 ifs lift install IMHO