Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much time to re gear a front axle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nickdubrule41, Aug 9, 2005.

1. nickdubrule41

nickdubrule41 Registered Member

hey im having one of my local tranny shops throw in a new 3.73 ring and pinion up front so it will mach the rear gear ratio and they said it should take 3 hours maby a little more and about 250$ in labor does this seem fair?? how long should it take a profesional to do that from start to finish. and how much should i expect to pay for the new gears? thanks alot nick :confused:

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

It took me about 5 hrs to do my front 10b. But that was my first time with the external shims. Also about 2 hrs of that was the carrier having to be frozen and the ring gear heated up so they would fit.

$250 is a little on the high side unless they are providing the gears in the $250.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Around here $250 is a great deal. The shops are closer to $700 and you supply the gears! Those prices are why I broke down and bought the tools and learned to do it myself.

That time frame is not unreasonable either. It can take a few times to get things setup correctly.

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I'd say that's a pretty good deal if they warranty their work. I'd just make sure it's clear that if something went wrong with the R&P that they will make it right.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

sounds good to me. but all is dependent on axle. dana axles are much easyer with case spreader.