Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how much timing advance do you guys like?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rjfguitar, Oct 6, 2003.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have my 406 set at about 12 degrees advance, it is built up and I am curious how much advance you guys like on your modified motors. Thanks

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

My 388 likes 10 degres initial and 36 degrees total. Runs pretty dang good that way! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

thanks

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Believe it or not this is how I set the timin. Way back when, when I was runnin my little slot car, Datsun said to set the timin where you think it should be, get in the car and get it to 30 in third gear and get on it. If it rattled, to much advance, if it didn't not enough advance. Now this doesn't work very well for an automatic but the principle is still the same. Just how I do it, cuz if you just set it to a number someone suggests and forget it how do you really know it's advanced enough for you to get all your engine has to offer. Just my HO. Good luck to y'all.

Allan

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm running somewhere around 8 or 9 on my 350 with nothing more than aftermarket flat top pistons and RV cam. I had like 4 degrees then noticed it idled a little nicer with a little more. I may advance it just a little more yet, 10 probably.

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

we set most of the small blocks up at 10 to 12. 32 to 34 total. those are stock 350's tho... i just did a stroker last week and gave it 36 total and it felt like it wanted a couple more but i played it safe and left it there.

that thing breathed deep breaths /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif