Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much to cut?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txhotrod, Feb 15, 2005.

1. txhotrod

txhotrod Registered Member

OK guys i need some help. I just traded my 37/13.50/15 boggers for a set of 39.5/15/15 tsls. I have 8 inches of lift and the 37's fit perfect. The lift is a pos it was like i was before i bought it. It has a 4in supension and 4in body (ya i no pos)blocks in the rear. When i get the funds it will be riped out and 6" springs in front wih ord flip and 4 inch in rear and probally 2 in body along with one tons. Well my question is I realize I need to trim my fenders, But how much would yall recommend? Any speacial rules I should follow. I will probally do it with a cut off wheel. also has anyone tried to roll the fender back under to make it appear more like it did before?

Thanx,
    Blazerkid
    (PS) me and my dad share a name on here...

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

heres how mine are trimmed... two pics, front and rear...

[​IMG]

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[​IMG]

i have about 6" of total lift, and those are 39.5x15x15 TSLs on 15x10 rims. Trimming is pretty much common sense. You look at the factory fender, how/where a tire is gonna hit as the tire moves upward and trim away. After your done, max out the flex and see if it hits... if so, keep going, if not, clean up the edges and you're done. :) I used a sawzall and 4.5" angle grinder w/ cutoff wheel to do mine. A bit of grinder wheel and file work and the edges are nice and smooth. Prime the bare metal edges and you're done.

j

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You got your response on how much, but for he lips I did that I rolled the edge and made alip, it makes the fender stiffer.
    If you don' it will be wallowy and it will vibrate at highway speeds from the wind.
    It's not very easy to roll it but it's feasable, I know body work so it was easy for me.
    Another way I have seen done really nice, get some metal conduit 1/2" or 3/4" round and bend it to the shape of the opening and weld it in, nice clean finish and strong too, and the conduit is soft enough to bend in those shapes by hand if you have some muscles.
    :D

5. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Here you can see how I did the hack job on my fenders. I've since gone back and cut more, then neatened it all up. My rear axle is moved back 5.5" and the front forward 1.5"...so yours may be a little different. My #1 suggestion is to cut the bare minimum until you get your suspension set up the way you're gonna keep it. Better yet, do suspension, then tires, then cut. Fender trimming isn't irreversible, but it's the next thing to it.

Also, these pics are old (April 03) but they still show 8" with 44s.

April 03 (5).JPG

April 03 (7).JPG

6. aduff85k5

aduff85k5 Registered Member

that's nice work there