Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HOw much $ to do my knuckles?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by aandpman, Jan 26, 2002.

1. aandpman

aandpman 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hi ORD>
    I have a pair of D-44 knuckles that are the flat-top AND top-load tie-rod type. I need the RH one machined for X-over.
    When you do the work do you guys just mill, drill and tap, or do you go ahead and include the mounting studs installed?
    Also, the LH knuckle needs the studs removed and replaced, as the nuts were originally torched off. Can you do this also and how much $.
    If I ship them both to you, how do I arrange payment?
    Thanks again for quality stuff.....
    BTW I am a paying CK5'er if that make any difference...

P. eople for
    E. ating
    T. asty
    A. nimals
    85 K10, 305 700R4 33's 3.08's (14bff &amp; D44 in the garage now ;-)<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by aandpman on 01/26/02 09:07 AM.</FONT></P>

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We typically charge $70 to do the knuckle and to be honest a portion of that is cleaning and ball joint removal. to fit the jigs the knuckle needs to be pretty clean and we get some grubby stuff in. We may have to separate that charge since we've occasionally seen knuckles that are beadblasted to gorgeous bare iron.
    We can try to get the studs out of the LH side, they're often frozen in pretty tight and if they're cut off it can be tough to get them out. If you leave the tie rod below, don't worry about the LH side, you don't need them.
    The studs are part of the optional install kit, not part of the machining cost. Installing them pretty much involves just screwing them into the holes. You can snug them down with a double nut and you're ready for the arm.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

3. aandpman

Mine already have had the ball joints removed, but they definitely have not been beautifully bead blasted, although they're not in bad shape. they had been cleaned and painted black before I received. I probably will leave the tie rod below for now, rather than do the totaly high conversion (in fact, I'm thinking about a Rock-Rod).
    I would, however like to go ahead and remove the studs on the drivers' side so that it won't be so difficult later when / if I go to the high conversion. The nuts were torched off the top, so there's still about an inch of stud left to work with, if you think you COULD get them out.
    How would you need payment to be done, and what shipping address to send the knuckles to?

P. eople for
    E. ating
    T. asty
    A. nimals
    85 K10, 305 700R4 33's 3.08's (14bff & D44 in the garage now, w/4.10's ;-)

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The shipping on those things is going to kill you. I think I would just send out the right one and buy a stud remover and a bottle of PB-Blaster to get them off. Just soak them once a day with the pbblaster for a week or so and they should come right out.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Nah, shipping should not be bad at all. Since he is in Texas, if he shipped the two knuckles and had the work performed, I bet he would look at approximately $15 shipping, each way.

<font color=red>Only real men drive K30's!!!</font color=red> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

6. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I personally would just weld a nut onto what is left, shoot it with a little P B Blaster, and back them out with an impact. Just a thought.

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Lots of good ideas here for the LH studs, see what you can do. Getting some penetrating lube soaking into them for a while is key to the whole operation.
    Shipping should be about $15-$20, not sure exactly. We may have 15 min in the LH studs, could be 1/2 hour, just have to see. Guess $25.00?
    Best thing to do is call in, we'll fill out an order so we have it waiting for you AND PUT A WIRE TAG ON THE KNUCKLES WITH YOUR NAME AND PHONE NUMBER ON IT. We get stuff with messed up packaging and torn up boxes, etc and without a tag we don't know who it's from so then it sits here till you start missing the parts.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

8. aandpman

Thanks. I'll give you a call pretty soon.

P. eople for
    E. ating
    T. asty
    A. nimals
    85 K10, 305 700R4 33's 3.08's (14bff & D44 in the garage now, w/4.10's ;-)