Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much to rebuilt D44?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lowlevell, Oct 9, 2000.

1. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

I currently am in the process of switching my sub to 3/4 ton and have a few questions.About how much will the parts(& labor) costs to rebuild this? The axle is complete but needs rebuilt. The ring & pinion and axles are in good shape, but everything else(moving parts) including all brake parts will need replaced.Also, I've heard that the spring plates from my 10 bolt will fit my D44.Is this true?Finally,will my steering arm from my 10 fit my 44?I havent looked yet=)later....

One From None

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Yes the spring plates and the steering arm are the same..

As far as cost of replacing things here is a rough estimate list:

Calipers: (2) $20-40ea
    Brake hardware kit: (2) $10-$15ea.
    Ball Joints: (4) $15-20ea
    U-joints: (2) $12ea (brute Force)
    Wheel Bearings: (4) at $8-$12 ea.
    WB Seals: (2) $8ea.
    Seals for axle into hub: (2) $13ea
    Bearing for axle into hub: (2) $12ea.
    Draglink: (two tierod ends and One connecting kit) $40-50 complete..
    Tierod ends: (2) $15-$20ea.

I may have missed somethings...

HTH

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Umm, gear oil. [​IMG]
    If you havent already, I would pull the diff cover and clean out any shavings et. then add cover gasket to your parts list.

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

5. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

Does the D44 get a can of that "GM oil"? Like some of the rear ends get?Thanks for the responses...later

One From None

6. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a 3/4 ton Dana 44 about the same strength as the 1/2 ton Dana 44 and 10 bolt? If so, I'd just stick with your 10 bolt until you can get something really tough like a Dana 60.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It was right at $500 to do mine including the long tierod ($80) ,drag link, U-joints set of carrier bearings since a previous owned shoveled dirt into them from the tubes and one set of wheel bearings. Napa sells real Dana Seals and I would highly recomend you get them. I also had bad luck with the Ball joints that Autozone sell so I got TRW's from Advanced for $24 each.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

8. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

You're not wrong, but this guy may be in the same boat as say....ME. I've got a 10 bolt sitting under my truck that is just fine, and a D44 sitting in my garage that I'm prb. gonna rebuild. The main reason, I got the 44/14 as a matched set with new gears in both for cheap, and I mean CHEAP. I don't want to do a gear swap in my 10 and then swap the hubs and rotors out, and I don't have $1200 laying around for the 60. There will be a wheel and tire change involved so my current set won't work. It's kinda a lesser of two evils, spend $100 now to have something that works or save up to buy a 60. NOW, that all been said, I'm not going to do another Gear swap or locker in my 44, that WILL offset the price of a 60. When I have enough saved, out comes the 44 in goes the 60. It's all about time and money I guess.

Kyle
    89K5

9. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

Kyle,
    Yes that is exactly what i am doing.My factory 10 bolt grenaded and i bought a set of used 78 3/4 ton axles.I already have the rear 14FF rebuilt and insalled.Been driving on it for a few months.I was just asking everyone that has done this swap what kind of $$$/labor problems they have ran into b/c i ran into alot of little unforseen problems with the 14FF.
    Heh plus i would really like my four wheel drive back(different gearing) for winter.
    Yes it did suck to buy new rims/tires=) later.....

One From None

10. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

i thought that the 44 was stronger than the 10 bolt.

<font color=red> Hey who put that grenade in there? </font color=red>

11. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

i thought that the 44 was stronger than the 10 bolt.

<font color=red> Hey who put that grenade in there? </font color=red>

12. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Kyle, that is the same boat I was in, I had a chance to swap in a Dana44 with the same gear ratio as the 14 bolt that I put in, the only diff was like a dumb a$$ I installed an ARB in the 44 (works awesome though), I plan on installing a 60 this winter some time and will sell a 3/4 ton Dana 44 with ARB 4:10 gears, new everything and Mag-hytec cover. It sucks when your building a daily driver, that whole time thing!!

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

13. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

ewweeeee... Gotta love the ARB, but DAMN!!!!! If maintaining this web site didn't pay so well, that would have really hurt the pocket book.

Tell ya what, I'm putting full width axles under a Jeep for a buddy of mine, I'll give you $150 for the 44. Just to ease yer pain. [​IMG]

Kyle
    89K5

14. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Damn Steve, that hurts. Arb, Mag-hytec covers = lots and lots of dough, almost or just about the price of a Dana 60! I feel your pain though. Hopefully by this time next year, I'll have a 60 in the front and a 14FF in the rear. I'm like most of yall, daily driver, so time and money and patience is a big factor. I don't like the patience part though, I want to do everything now!!!
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

15. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Good answer!