Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much to regear ...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SlyDog, Oct 24, 2001.

1. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

I am looking at a 14 bolt that has 3:73 gears and how much would it cost to change to 4.56 gears ? I am curious cause the axle is for a decent price .

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    GO BUSH

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Figure around $200 for the gears, maybe $100 for new bearings and seals, then $150-500 for labor, depending on what kind of deal you can find. [​IMG] Might as well spend $310 more for a new Detroit Locker while you're going inside. [​IMG] (Open the cover on the diff and see if it is an open carrier. The Detroit Locker won't fit the factory Gov-Loc carrier).

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

$500 for the rear sounds about right for a complete swap.. new bearings and seals. But It wouldn't hurt to shop around. I found a place that'll do mine for $400. I also agree with Harry on putting in the locker along with the gears. It'll save you an extra labor charge down the line. Also the axle you're interested in has an open carrier, no gov loc so a Detroit will go right in.

Rod
    Alameda, CA
    85 K5 6"ProComp 35"Boggers 14Bolt/ Dana44 4.10's
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle</a>

4. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

hah thanks savage [​IMG]

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    GO BUSH

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

200 for install 125 for gears and like 60 for master install kit wich is the bearings and all that jazz.. go to www.drivetrainwarehouse.com they have the cheapest gears ive seen on the market. And they are same brand as the ones 4wpw sells ( genuine gear)

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.
    next... off with the cat's and a single inlet dual outlet flowmaster with 4" tips =D