Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much $ to "tweak&peak"

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by stephan van leir, Aug 27, 2000.

1. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

How much $ to \"tweak&peak\"

Like the title says, how much should I be paying to get my CB tweaked. The local radio shop wants $55 to "tune it". I think that they are trying to gouge me because I said that I wanted it to be maxed. He got sh!++y with me after I said that. What do you think? Maybe someone knows a shop in Colorado that they can recomend?
    Thanks

2. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Re: How much $ to \"tweak&peak\"

I used to work at a shop, DALWORTH CB AND CAR STEREO about five years ago and my techs used to charge between 30 and 70 bucks depending on the amount of time put into the peak and tune.b

[​IMG]

3. Re: How much $ to \"tweak&peak\"

It depends on the radio but it probably wont help much
    legal power is 5 watts for u 2 get a 1db gain you have to multiply the power by 4 or 20 watts . 1db amounts to someone listineng to the radio and being able to tell it just got a little louder . and it continues for 2db gain you will need 20 x4 or 80 watts . stock radios even when turned up max might give you 8 to 12 watts not enough for 1db gain and will shorten the life of the radio . your best bet is to get a small linear amp . again in a 20 or 80 watt power level .that way if the amp fails you still have a working radio at less power instead of nothing . yes you can go higher in power but after 80 watts it starts getting exspensive , power consumption on the vehicle goes up considerably , and usally the person that hears you doesn't have the same power to get back to you .amps usally a dollar a watt . mark359@earthlink.net

4. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

I just got a new radio and had it tuned. $12!!!This man has been doing it for years. I watched him do it and he had my Uniden at 35 watts and clear. Then i added the amp and it dead keyed at 200 watts.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You'd be much better off to find a local guy that works on them out of his house. Shops will way over charge !!! If you want to be louder, don't worrie about upping the watts, what you want to increase is the modulation !!!!!!!!!!! Put some swing in that thing, thats where it's at !!!!!

6. Phreak480

Phreak480 Registered Member

i do cb work on the side and charge no more than $20 to tweak n peak a radio

also do all kinds of other work
    my big thing lately is clear top covers for cb's and illuminating the internals

also i fix quite a few radios that were plugged in backwards, it's just a simple diods 99% of the time, that si if teh fuse ddin't blow (if the fuse didn't blow it's cause u did liek me n bypassed it, oops)

7. chevblazk5

chevblazk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    i do cb work on the side

[/ QUOTE ]

Want to fix my radio?

8. Phreak480

Phreak480 Registered Member

drop me an email and we'll talk

phreak480@aol.com

and that goes for anyone else that is interested too

9. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

Not all shops overcharge... Shop I deal with will peak/tune, convert if applicable, etc... They even go out of their way to find conversion information, and other info about tuning it up if they don't have it available... Charge about the going rate too from what I've seen... Same place if you buy an antenna from 'em they'll set SWR for free.. Some places are a *real* ripoff when they try to milk people on stuff like that...

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I hear ya there, it's just that I've noticed you can usely get the work done cheaper through a good radio tech doing it out of his house verses going to a shop. I used to live in Omaha, Ne. and we had a few radio techs that were really good, and they would beat any shops price, and usely do much better work, becouse they enjoy talking on the radio themselves.

11. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

I guess that's basically what this guy is, except instead of his house he gives the same great deals and service from his shop... Has a 2950 original model with an amp on it, and an A99 on the shop he tends to talk on, etc... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

12. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

If you are near Denver, try Sapp Bros. Truck stop on Quebec off I70 or the T/A truck in Wheatridge, on I-70. The guy at the T/A, use to be reasonable...... $20-25. Good luck!

13. spectr17

spectr17 Newbie

Ditto what Anonymous posted. From experience in working on CBs since the early 70s, Tweak n' Peak ain't worth it.

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

a guy in an offroad club im in locally does mine for free! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

ALL, I think the correct term is "Clean and Service"

Since the legal limit is 4 watts and a shop could get in trouble for producing anymore out of a CB. Atleast that is the way i understood it.

I think I paid $25.00 back in 1995 to have mine push to 16 watts after the clean and service. It made all the difference in the world.