Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much torque will a th350 take?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sparky, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    I have a stock th350 in my blazer and a old mild 350, but I am planing on building a 383 stroker with roughly 420 ftlbs of torque and about 330 hp this summer. I wont be able to afford to get a new tranny until the following summer and I am wondering how long my th350 will last. Will it take the abuse for a year? Keep in mind that I am willing to have an easy foot, but I dont know if I will be able to resist the first time a 5.0L mustang pulls up next to me at a stoplight. [​IMG] I'd love to see the look on his face when we leave the stoplight and my 5000 pound truck keeps up with him if not beats him. What can I do to make it last besides a big cooler? Thanks for any advise.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I had a friend that raced a 60 Chevy with a 454 and a th350. It held up good in that boat. I think if you are easy on it you should be ok. If it works good now just use a good cooler and trough a shift kit in it.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

sorry, i can't help you here, i actually need to know too.

SWAMPERS RULE!!
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift finally rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241

4. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    It works great now. Shifts like a Cadillac though! I know it was rebuilt a few months before I bought the truck. As far as the shift kit gos... well i'm trying not to spend much money on this tranny because i will go to a nv4500 when I get the cash. Dont want to prolong the granny gear and the overdrive if ya know what I mean. Thanks for the input.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

5. FWP

FWP CRS

Be careful, especially if it's a high mileage tranny. Drive it the same as you do now, and it might live till you swap or build it. It shifts like a caddy huh? That's heat producing slippage, a trade off for comfort(yuk[​IMG]). The first time you stomp the gas may be the last time too, so just be cautious. In addition to the biggest cooler you can get, and a shift kit, Get rid of ALL the old tranny fliud at one of those shops that has that machine to change all the fliud- It's a little expensive, but it should help. My .02..........

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/75K5>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/75K5</a>