Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how much travel needed with Ferd towers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Sep 18, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I'm looking into which shocks I will be needing to purchase and would like to know if anyone has used the DT8000's in this application. How do you like them?

If you have another type of shock, please supply me the PN so I can match the specs and compare. Thanks all!

-Dan

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I love mine----i did it just like the "how to" on here----i extended the shocks 6 3/4"(i think)and bolted them to the axle and cut the ferd towers to length. you just did the 465 conversion---is it manual or hydraulic----if its manual the tower is going to contact the linkage when you press the clutch so you have to move it foreward---i dont like how it is mounted but it works.--if oyu need pics i can get some.

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

What you need to look at to determine the exact shock travel required is your suspension combined with the options presented by the Ford (or any custom) towers. IMO, you should go with the longest travel possible. That provides the most options (non limiting) later on if you do other mods and it won't cost much more now. 12"+ travel shocks like the 5012/9012 Rancho or DT or whatever are fine as long as the collapsed length does not get too much longer than the Ranchos mentioned.

Also, don't just automatically locate them by the article's example. Arbitrarily setting them at 1/2 travel may not make sense for you. It doesn't for me. With my minimal lift, the axle would literally be unable to move enough to use that much up travel. I have mine set with only 5.5" of up travel, and that's still a bit more than I need. Note, this does not mean that the tire can only go up 5.5". Because the shock is inboard of the tire AND at an angle, the shock travel is multiplied and the shock rate is reduced (effectively a softer shock with more travel).

4. KRAZIE87K5

Where can I find the "write up" on "here"? Anyone? I looked up Technical, and didn't see anything... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Thanks,
    -Dan

5. KRAZIE87K5

Can I run Rancho 5012's in the rear as well as in the front? Seems like 13.5" of travel should suffice in the front, but in the rear? Is that overkill? Thanks.

-Dan

6. KRAZIE87K5

The DT8000s (PN 3403) have 13.5" of travel, but in compression are 1/2" shorter than the Ranacho 5012's (DT comp = 32", and the 5012's comp = 32.5") SO does the smaller compressed measurement win here? Keep in mind I dont have the Ferd towers yet, so I can't really make these measurements until I have them...

-Dan

7. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

http://coloradok5.com/ranchoreview.shtml
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Where can I find the "write up" on "here"? Anyone? I looked up Technical, and didn't see anything...

[/ QUOTE ]
    must we do everthing for you j/k /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Overkill for the rear? Most of us have MORE travel in the rear than front... I've got my rear shocks mounted to maximize the *effective* shock travel (considerably more than 13") and I use every inch...

Shorter collapsed length generally wins, all else being equal.

9. KRAZIE87K5

My rear flexes more than the front also, but I never even come close to using all the travel on my current SkyJacker shocks... But they are still in their stock mounting location too. I understand what you are saying... you have a point... I think I will go with the RS5012s and be done. I have put too much thought into this already I think! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif The DT8000's have a smaller compressed size than that of the 5012's but the DT's are a little more $ and are not used as much as the Rancho stuff, so that will be the deciding factor.

Just my .02! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Dan

10. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Just make sure that no shock bottoms out before the axle is pressed hard against the bump stop. If one does, then the shock mount becomes the bump stop and will be unceremoniously ripped from your truck /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif They just aren't designed to support the weight of a 6,000 lb. K5 crashing down on them. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

12. KRAZIE87K5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    the shock mount becomes the bump stop and will be unceremoniously ripped from your truck /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Hhehehehehehe! That would almost be fun to watch! I think I will have to relocate the bump stops... they have never contacted either axle in my current setup! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

-Dan

13. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Rancho and Pro Comp both make ~14" travel shocks now. Don't know part numbers.