Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how much was dual exaust for you guys?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87sm465np208, Nov 12, 2002.

1. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

im thinkin of putting dual exaust on my truck, how much was it for you to do? money wise, did you do it yourself or no?, i wanted to keep it legal and put cat's on it, dunno about mufflers, but this is somthing im considering on doing, i appreciate any imput. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. st08x

st08x Registered Member

it depends on where u go. i got all of my exhaust redone for $500 with magna flow mufflers, but it was dual exhaust before. i dont know if that makes a difference or not cause when they did the exhuast they just cut off everything from the headers back and redid it.

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I had custom, cat-back made for $300 (pretty chrome tips and all /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif).
    Just had to sink in another $120 for the guy to replace my glasspack with a muffler (legal issue).

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I dont know about your area. In maryland some meineke shops are really "picky" about doing anything true dual. My gf got me the 40series and I got the hiflows. Pipe and labor were about $250. It was done in less than 6 hrs. and sounds great.

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

They installed headers... 2 cats... 2 dynomax... 2 3" chrome angled tips... around 500-600 dollars.

6. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I had a local shop bend me a pair of true duals, from the manifold to right about the front hangers of the rear springs. They bent and installed the pipes, $60! I bolted on the mufflers, $30 for the pair!

7. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I took my old exhaust off and installed my headers myself then took to exhuast shop. Cost $200 for dual pipes to be bent and $25 for wanna-be flowmasters each so total of $250 for pipes and mufflers.

8. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

I got $300 in the jcwhitney kit with headers (ducking for cover). It wasnt an exact fit unfortunately but that was probably because I ordered the headers and pipes seperately. The nice thing is that it was mandrel bent, 2 1/4 and cheap (debatable)

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

The last time I did a dual exhaust it was on a 79 Dodge Clubcab with headers already on it. I bought cheap $15 turbo mufflers, 2-1/2" pipe, and collectors for about $60. Then went to a little exhaust shop in one of the old gas stations... Cost me another $40 for him to bend the pipe and weld everything up. I had it exit out the side at the front of the truck box however.

10. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Mine was about $200. I did the work myself. The kit cam from Summit. My 78 has the God send Heavy Duty Emmissions, giving me no cats from the factory! It took me about 2 nights after work and 1 Saturday. If I could count I would have made 1 trip to the parts store instead of 4 /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11. 87sm465np208

damn you, with your heavy duty emmissions, how exactly does that work anyway? my trucks engine is an 87 fuel injected 350tbi i have a y that runs into a 3 inch pipe that goes into a cat that exits out into a side pipe that exits right before the drivers rear tire, sounds good too. wish i had HD emmissions. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

$450 for:

2-1/2 inch duals to Flowmaster 50's all the way out the back.

13. 87project

87project Registered Member

spent $350 for 2 1/2 inch duals and 40 series Flowmasters out the rear corners

14. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Hmmm....Let's see...

Heddmans.....................$90
    2.5" pipe....................$60
    2 40 series Flowmasters......$100
    3" pipe from mufflers back...$100

Grand Total: $350

It is a little loud when I make the 388 sing but not too bad. I might go to 50 series Delta's in the future. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

15. 87sm465np208

i think if i am gunna do this im gunna keep the manifolds, im just gunna do the exaust from the manifolds back, to keep it simple, so maybe even i can do it /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

180 bucks with 36" glasspacks and 2 1/2" pipe

17. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

$200 with true duals and two 40 series flow masters from collector to tail pipe and NO recipt, cash only. Truck was still in emissions and around here the guy could have been fined for not putting cats on it (didn't have any when I bought it). A emmisions guy ran the truck and missed the missing cats so I didn't need cats for another 1.5 years. Next guy caught the missing cats and so not the truck is in complinace...wellll till I take them off. This was the last year I EVER have to get emmisions test on that truck.
    Did a sweet job and EVERYTHING is abuve the bottom of the frame rails.

18. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Picked up a set of used(but in great cont.) Doug Thorlys $100.00
    Father in law hooked me up with a set of 50 DynoMax's Free ($150.00 each new)
    Still have to put them on....Price Less

19. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

1978 HD Emissions per service manual: All NonCalifornia K series. Those from CA are K20 and K30 only. C series is a different ball of wax. Not that it really matters. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I picked up the Mandrel Bent, K5 specific Hooker 2.5" dual setup (Hooker P/N 16922) from Summit for about $200. (Minus mufflers and Headers). Unfortunately, I think you would need to do Headers to make it work. [Plus the obvious smog implications.....] /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

It looks like it should go on easily and I'll be trying it out this weekend. I'll re-post on how hard it was to install next week.

(One of the last steps before I can finally fire up the new engine) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif