Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much weight wil my Blazer tow?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cozmo, Mar 11, 2001.

1. Cozmo

Cozmo Newbie

Mar 11, 2000
    I gotta 1975 K5 with an SM465/NP205/350 combo with 3.73 gearing. How much will it tow?
  2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Jul 23, 2000
    My 81 Jimmy with a mild 350, SM 465, NP 205, 3.73's and (at the time) 35" General MT's towed a 21' travel trailer no problems. The trailer weighs in at over 5200 lbs loaded, and we towed it from Vancouver BC down to Huntington Beach CA and back with no troubles whatsoever. I also tow that trailer through the Coastal mountain range to the Okanagon every summer, again no problems. On the flat parts of the road it will maintain 65-70 MPH without too much trouble and up the steep hills its just one down shuift into 3 rd and lean on the loud pedal for a while. On the long hills I just leave it in 3 rd and maintain it at 2700 RPM til we crest the top of the hill.
    I do use a weight distributing hitch though, I find it really helps for stability.