Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how much will a re-built 350 cost me?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88jimmyoungowner, Oct 24, 2002.

1. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

i really want to know, because my dad is thinking about getting a new one becasue the one in our 8 is tired and has many components which we dont like. how much would a regular 350 carbeurator or tbi cost? what about a built one? and for the major stuff, what bout a 454? thanks in advance.

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

$1600 GM Crate 3/30,000 warrenty.

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I just rebuilt my 350 and I'm sitting at about a grand for the short block. I could have done it cheaper but I had it built to stand up to higher horespower. I also could have saved some money if I'd ordered the pistons myself but I had the machine shop do it cause I didnt wanna hassle with it.

The machine work consisted of cam bearing removal and install, bore and hone with deck plate, ground crank, checked rods and installed freeze plugs. They also fixed a small crack near the starter mounting hole and installed threaded plugs in place of the press-in oil gallery plugs. I also had them assemble the short block, except the cam.

I used KB flat top pistons, Comp Cams 4x4Xtreme 262 cam, and pete jackson gear drive. Right now I'm running the stock 79 heads and edelbrock performer carb and intake, but I'm planning on going to TPI and Vortec heads. I'm guessing that it's probably putting out about 350hp and 400lbs. right now. It should have around 400hp after I do the TPI/Vortec swap.

You can rebuild a 350 for a lot cheaper. I have heard about 500 or 600 for just a standard rebuild. It all depends on how you plan on running it. I run mostly in the sand so I need plenty of power and for it to stay together. There are a lot of people running strokers and they really like them.

A BB is really great if you can afford to build and run one. They can get expensive, but if you have the money go for it. I love the torque that the one in my K30 has, but I wouldnt attempt to make it my daily driver cause I would be poor within a week.

4. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I had a 350 rebuilt in hinesville GA, for $350 a couple years back.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Do you know any good mecanic's that do work on the side ??? I've know meny over they years that did work at home on the weekends and evenings. I know lots of guys that do that kind of thing. I recomend talking to a few and see what they say. If you've already got a 350, think of having a 383 stroker built. The kit isn't too expencive, and it's not much more work then a standard rebuild. Well worth looking into befor you decide on anything.