Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much will it cost?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 96chevy, Apr 30, 2003.

1. 96chevy

96chevy Registered Member

How much should a used D44 and a 14ff cost at a junk yard? Most of the ones around in nashville are rip off's, and to be honest I don't trust them. With that said, what about new, or even Ebay? Is there anything in particular I should look for as far as hidden damage at the junk yard, cause on my budget that's probably where I'm headed.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Most yards will bone ya pretty hard for that combo. I'd guesstimate at least $1,000. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif But the smaller yards can be more reasonable, and the pick-n-pull type places can be even cheaper, maybe $200-300 for the combo, if you can find what you're looking for.

Make sure that you know what you need before you start the hunt. If you plan to run 35 inch tires, then a set of axles with 3.42 gears is NOT what you want. You would spend anywhere from $500-1200 more to have the gears swapped in both axles. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif 4.10's aren't too hard to find in 3/4-ton trucks and are a great ratio for 33-35 inch tires.

Watch the papers for someone parting out an old truck, or even selling a complete, non-running one for cheap. Also keep an eye on the For Sale forum here. Stuff like that does turn up from time to time, but unless the axles are nearby then the shipping can add considerably to the cost.

3. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

yeah make sure you pull the diff covers and look at the ring and pinion for same ratio and broken teeth. also check the housing for small dings and cracks they lead to carnage. other than that a 14ff is pretty tough to break.