Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much winch do I need??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LIFSVR7, May 11, 2003.

1. LIFSVR7

LIFSVR7 Registered Member

I know I did a search, but I am still unsure what I think I need... I know what I WANT... BIG like 12k-15k, but that is prolly overkill, so I was thinking of something like 8000 lb, I and as far as brands... I don't do much wheelin' at all, so I was thinkin' about like Superwinch, or Milemarker, something not as expensive as Warn as I will prolly not get as much use out of it as most of you- Gimme all opinions, and experiences... THANKS- /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

9500 minimum for a K5. you want about 1.5x the vechile weight. I'd go for more winch then i would ever need. i don't want to be in a dicey situation thinking to myself

"Boy, I hope this 8000 pound winch holds up! its a long drop to the bottom of that ravine!"

Safety is not one of the "Save Money" areas, IMHO.

3. LIFSVR7

LIFSVR7 Registered Member

Well, I KNOW my truck weighs 5250lbs... as for ravines.. we don't have those up here.. but I see what you are saying... so what about brands... anyone?? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

go check out Pierce sales for cheap reliable winch

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Hear are a few things I have been told about winches from knowledgeable people. The avearge is 1.5x the weight of the vehicle. 9000lb is about the standard minimum for our trucks. The exception is the Warn 8274. I personally just picked up a Warn 12,000 for my truck and I was told that I should be very careful with a winch this powerful. I was told that they can bend my frame if I am not careful.

6. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

ahhh. . . go ahead and get a 40,000 PTO. . . hehe. . if i ever get enough money for a winch, i will spend the extra 500 and the the M15000. they can pay for themselve if you go mudding, like just the other day i made $100 pulling two trucks out, and that was without a winch, but it would have been infinitely easier with one.

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I don't have a winch mounted on my Blazer, but it has been winched several times by other vehicles. The winches have always been either 8,000 or 9,000 lb. rateda and have always gotten me out. The worst such time I had the K5 buried up to the front bumper in a mud hole and they had to double-line an 8,000 Warn to get me out.

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Mile Marker just brought out a 12,000 lb. electric winch. It's selling for $899.
    I'd, personally, go with the 12,000 lb. Mile Marker Hydraulic winch. It'll pull all day through mud...

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

1 1/2 times vehicle weight is the MINIMUM you want. more would be better. The warn 8274 is an awesome winch. but I hear warn is gonna discontinue it. To big and bulky for todays trucks. The Ramsey platnum 9500 is getting great revues. You can use a snatch block to increase pull strength, but it reduces line speed.

10. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ahhh. . . go ahead and get a 40,000 PTO. . . hehe. . if i ever get enough money for a winch, i will spend the extra 500 and the the M15000. they can pay for themselve if you go mudding, like just the other day i made $100 pulling two trucks out, and that was without a winch, but it would have been infinitely easier with one.

[/ QUOTE ]

there's your answer, buy a huge winch so you can rip people off! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif if I was stuck I'd wave you right on by, it's poeple liek you that make us look bad. I pull people out all the time. if they want to put something in my pocket that's fine, but I don't charge.

-Scott