Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much would you charge for this service?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by colbystephens, Mar 15, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

so my buddies and i are thinking of picking up a little jeep which I will swap a running engine into and then we'd sell it. one of my friends will take care of the paint, and the other one will sell it. i haven't made the agreement with them final, and i'm having some doubts. after reconsidering the deal, I think i could only get about $250 profit out of it, and that seems like a helluva lot of work for only $250 (it's only an engine swap - good 4 cyl for bad 4cyl.) what do you think - how much would you want to be paid to do this job? i'd still consider myself a new mechanic, so it will be a somewhat lengthy process for me. thanks!

colby

2. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

well i`d do it for free becuause most likely who ever buys its gna have to fix my screw ups.....im learnin though

3. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Make your share whatever a flat rate manual says it takes to swap the engines. Thats fair,even if it takes you longer, use local shop rates for hourly rate.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

at $250, assuming it takes 40 hours to do it (in most cases, it shouldnt take that long), that's still 6.25/hr. that's straight cash, the governor doesnt get his share. probably similar to working an 8.50/hr part time job for 40 hours. also, you probably wont have to worry too much about deadlines.

5. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

One MILLION DOLLARS!

[​IMG]

6. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

How much are your friends getting- like the one who's painting it, then the one who is selling it? I think you should definitly get a bigger percentage then the one who is selling it, and probably more then the one who is painting it too.

7. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

that's kind of what i was thinking too. i'm not sure i deserve more than the painter - he's fronting the money for the truck. the thing i struggle with is that the seller doesn't know anything about autos, so i could sell the thing alot better than he could. the problem i have with trying to cut him out of the deal is that he's one of my best friends. so, i was thinking to just ask to make at least $325 profit, and they can split the rest. i think i already looped myself into the deal, so maybe i should just suck it up and do it. $350 is money i didn't have before. :rolleyes:

8. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Ohh good call!:haha:

Hey Colby! Let me come and charge you a sevice call, its only 125.00! :D :haha: j/k

9. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

250 dollars to change out a 4 cyl engine that i am sure is cleaner than a 350 and i know has a TON of room under the hood... not a bad deal, but i would go for 325. thats jsut me.

10. olskool

olskool 1/2 ton status

Do you guys already have the motor? I'll drive up there with tools in hand and do it for $150. There's nothing like being in the military and making about $50 a day.

11. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I've been doing that kind of thing for about 15 years. buy em wrecked or broke rebuild em cheap and sell them. good money is money you didn't have before. 250 sounds about right.