Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much would you guys spend on a good paint job..?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90idahoblazer, Feb 9, 2002.

1. 90idahoblazer

90idahoblazer 1/2 ton status

I was wondering how much a good paint job would be...I took my rig to a place here in Idaho and he wanted 3 grand...I dont want a show room job I want paint that will last but not send me to the poor house...My body is straight with no rust but the paint is cracked/spydered and chipped I would like know what your opinion would be on good price for a paint job...Its hard for me to comprehend that paint job would cost 3 grand and if you think about it, there is not as much surface to paint as a short bed pick up...Thanks in advance

Tom

2. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

About $50 buy a gallon of the cheap stuff, a gallon of primer, and some sand paper, cause on the blazer, as long as it's the same color is all that really matters and truthfully even that dosen't but for a nice street style paint job it's gonna cost ya, if you want it cheap and the same color mind a matco or somewhere like that.

Like em big and topless
    You call THAT...a 4x4....LMAO?

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Im about to get my 86 K10 shortbed painted and Ive been quoted anywhere from $500 to 1500. Maaco was having a sale for like $275 but it ended in Jan. If youre looking for a cheap job, Id call Maaco.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html>http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html</a>

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I spent $23 on flat black spray bombs and did the whole truck...easy to touch up and it hides the smaller dents really well![​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

5. 90idahoblazer

THANKS GUYS...so for about 1500 I can get a decent paint job then?

6. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Last weekend I had a blue K5 ... 30$'s later I have a nice flat black K5 hehehehe

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    BUILT <font color=red>NOT</font color=red> BOUGHT

7. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Ask around. You can find people who paint for a side job for extra cash and get pretty good prices.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html>http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html</a>

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

copycat...[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I painted my own toyota shortbed here recently. I researched out good polyeurathane (enamel doesn't last) chemical pretreatments, adhesives and sealants, primers, base coats, clear coats and some of the expendable stuff like filters, sandpaper, masking tape and such. I spent about 650 on prime/base/clear and hardening/cleaning agents.
    Sanding is hands down the hardest and most important part, cracked paint takes extra care and time to remove ridges which show up in a decent finish. I chose to disassemble most of my truck to make it look its best, some people just tape off the elements they dont want painted. Shooting the primer and the base coat was a snap, just stay uniform. The clear coat was geniunely difficult. Its hard to get just enough on to get a uniform gloss but not run or sag the coat becuase its clear as glass and doesn't show buildup untill it runs. Making a mistake in any of these instances will show if you don't sand it out and recover. When it was all said and done it took me about 3 days of good work and about 800 bucks for what was a good job. After doing the job and slaving over detail like it was my own (becuase is was) I would easily pay $3000 for a good paint job. If your going to go out and 4x4 in some hard terrain, sand it yourself and take it down to Earl Sheib or One Day Paint or ... for a 300 paint job. That way you can get it painted 10 times, once after each time you scratch it up. One suggestion though would be to get an extra one or two clear coats on it. That way you can buff out the majority of the scratches and it wikll still look good!

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/borregok5> Pictures</a>

10. rain1971

rain1971 Registered Member

I read in a 4 wheeler magazine that earl schieb or maaco are both really good paint places, the reason they can do it cheap is because they are a chain and they have their own brands of paint, and becuase they do lots and lots of volume.

just because their cheap dosnt make them a bad paint place, you can get awsome results from one of these places.

take care
    rain

Theres no replacement for displacement!
    I want a big block!

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'm not knocking them, I've had many a car painted there. They don't use quality paint though they'd like to pass it off as such. As I said theres a paint job for every situation some of which would be rediculous not to get a Mayco job, I'm just presenting options and background.

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/borregok5> Pictures</a>

12. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Just remember too if you prime it yourself then that cuts down on the cost. Also if you remove the stuff that you don't want a paint on, and mask off things that helps you not pay for labor/materials to do that. Darker colors run more to be painted. Ask whatever shop you pick if they have extra stock of colors (like a shop by me had tons of red from a fleet paint job that went bad for them). If so see if there's a color you like... if they have tons of a certain color they might paint it for less just because they need to move it out...

I personally spent $40 to paint my truck. I figure if I am gonna wheel it and get it dirty I'd perfer to not cry when I get a dent or scratch in my big $$$ paint job... [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    "Grace is knowing when to be a lady and when to say "Ah, bite me, outta my way!"

13. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

I got a maaco job for 1K, but I had to sand and primer it myself. It is a decent job but has a few cracks in it after 3 years.

1986 GMC Jimmy 6" springs 3" body, 38/15.5/15 Swampers, 14-bolt FF rear, Dana 60 front, 1991 front-end.

14. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

My ol' man would alway's get those cheap paint jobs and say "Go across the street, looks good from there don't it"
    Corey 78K5

15. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Second that cheap paint. You can get some pretty decent stuff If you stay away from all the fancy pants matching colors. I can say that because my truck was just refridgerator white and thats what its being painted again.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>The Blazer Boy Page</a>

16. Rene, how many cans did that buy you? was it enough to do an entire blazer? i'll have to add 1/3 more to do my burb.

spray paint rules![​IMG]

<font color=blue>You think you're excited, feel my nipples!

</font color=blue>

17. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I beg to differ. I wouldn't touch Maaco. I took a truck there 9 years ago for thier $250 special. Was supposed to include a light block sand, chemical cleaner, primer and paint. They rolled that truck in, sprayed it and rolled it out. There was overspray on the damn windows and tires. Still lots of sand in the bed from the sandblasting I did. There were runs in the paint.
    I took a screwdriver and tried to find the primer, there wasn't any. When I asked why they didn't finish painting the inside of the bed, they replied "That's not really covered" (this was a pickup with no topper...). When I complained about the runs and lack of "chemical cleaner", the manager actually said "what did you really expect for $250?"
    After several months and a Saturday afternoon sitting outside thier shop with a big sign in the bed telling people how this is Maaco's Presidential Service, they gave me my money back., not I really wanted a crappy paint job for free, but it was better than paying for a crappy paint job. Mabey other people at different locations got something better, but I'm not willing to find out. I ended up buy some decent quality paint and primer for about $500 and painted it myself. For a first timer, not the worst job, but still beat the hell out of what Maaco did.
    To answer the question, $1000 shoudl buy you a decent paint job. $1500 should be really good, or decent with the amout of prep (sanding off the the cracked job..etc). $3000 is just a plain rip off unless they are doing show work and putting on new metal or something.

BlazerMan

18. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i got mine done at maaco. B4 I handed it over to them, i removed the side mirrors, the side molding stuff, and things like that (if u can remove it, do so!)...maaco doesnt take the time to do all that kinda stuff...so its *wise* to just do it yourself, you'll get a MUCH better result...a taped off edge is just waiting to chip/peel and stuff... much better look if its more seamless.

of course, once its completely done curing, wax the hell out of that bad boy. ;)

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

19. 90idahoblazer

Thanks Guys......And Chevy Cal Gal...I thought 3 grand was way too much
    Tom

20. lifted95z71

lifted95z71 1/2 ton status

if you want a really nice job expect to pay $3000+.
    if you want something that is nice and will actually stay on the truck you can spend around 1000.
    if you want to cover up rust and sell the truck quick (before it all falls back off) go to maaco.

he who bash other 4x4, look silly when being pulled out by it.