Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much would you pay???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by diesel4me, Dec 2, 2004.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Saw a truck for sale at a used car lot yesterday--A 79 K10--heres some of the "selling points"
    good points--
    1.SM465 4 speed
    2.350 motor(supposedly a 4 bolt main--havent checked # yet)
    3.NP205 T-case?? (it was nearly dark,might be a NP203??--cast iron case anyway)
    4.12 bolt rear?? (again,too dark to tell)
    5.Real nice 8' bed(that I dont want--owner willing to separate)
    6.Windsheild good (as far as I could see at dusk
    7.frame appears to be solid,never plowed

Bad & Ugly
    1.Rusted doors,rockers,floors,etc.(nose and inner fenders decent--grille is in the bed!
    2.Interior pretty trashed
    3Its only a 1/2 ton--I'd prefer a 3/4 ton or heavier if possible BUT--

I can buy it without the bed,with title,for 300 bucks----it looks like a LOT of work--it even makes my rotbox look better!--but if I spend the money on another tranny,fix all the other sins my truck has it will cost a lot more,I can use some parts from my truck,but mine is no prize either!--I'm not into swapping the 3/4 ton axles from mine into it--mine are very rusted,shock mounts and rear diff cover rotted away--

The guy also has an 82? 1 ton 4x4 with a stakerack body(huge hole in the wooden plank floor!),350,4 speed,Hydraulic tailgate,not sure if it dumps,says 2 grand on the window /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif(its NOT very nice looking at all)probably will take a lot less due to winters fast approach,but its way beyond my budget!!--it would be nice to own one like that for scrapping stuff though(might have a D60 in it too!).

Then I see a suburban parked on a side road for quite awhile nearby--3/4 ton 4x4,kinda rusty,no real info on the for sale sign,just a phone number--I like burbs too!--and the 3/4 ton drivetrain is more desireable--price unknown until I get the number and call--I suspect they are asking too much,or it has major problems,because 3 large junkyards are only a 1/2 mile away,and I'm sure they have stopped and asked if they'ed junk it--(everything is getting scrapped like crazy here--I hate to see all the good parts go to the crusher).

Should I go for the 1/2 ton,if nothing else,for the 4 speed setup and motor?(BTW--I found a new head gasket still in the package behind the seat--bad omen maybe?? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Or just junk my K20,saving some of the useable stuff like the 400 motor and NP205 case,buy the burb,and he heck with my flatbed and crane--

Or save my money,buy nothing,fix my teeth and get new eyeglasses,get a job,quit drinking,join a monastary and forget all about theese stupid trucks--and get my head examined!!! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

How come all the "deals" come about when its nearly christmas,money is tight,and usually when you dont really need another hulk in the yard!.... /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

I've seen a diesel Jimmy K5 in the ads for 500/bo--needs tranny,body not too bad--another 83 K5 diesel for 795 in NH--a decent looking 71 K5 for 1500/bo--its crazy--I see nothing for sale for years,suddenly its sell your truck on your front lawn and in the classifieds season--must be a lot of folks hurting for money around here. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I'd buy it for 300 bucks just for the parts /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. muddog

muddog 1/2 ton status

same here. You can always part it out and get your money back + some

4. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I third the motion of buying this truck!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif especially if you can start and move it.

5. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

Damn dude, $300 bux, you better hope I don't find it first!! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

I'm just messing with you man, but if you decide to pass it up, share the wealth, I'm like 20 minutes from there /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. bonanza

bonanza Registered Member

This sounds like my truck, but I picked it up for $100. Mine has an auto though.

7. diesel4me

Thanks for your replies!--I am still weighing my options on this one--I might buy the truck,but its not really what I'm looking for in a way--I have a lot of spare tires and rims for a 3/4 ton,but only have 4 6 lug rims (16.5's)with dry rotted nylon bias ply snows,and I really would rather have 3/4 ton suspension--I've overloaded my 74 beyond beleif and it still held up--I'm fairly sure a 1/2 ton rear would have at least broke an axle,if not the whole housing.I havent looked more closely at the truck yet--but what I did see of it discouraged me--I like the 4 speed and iron transfer case,but the cab,doors and interior are trashed--this truck would have normally been scrapped already most likely,but the car lot guy is a 4x4 and harley enthusiast and also hates junking things too hastily.I suspect the motor does need a head gasket if one is behind the seat!--and its going to snow some tomorrow,so it wont be long before this one goes to the crusher,he has his own ramp truck,so I have to act fairly quickly.He'll get 300 at the boneyard no problem,thats the lowest he'll go--plus he'll cut the bed off if I help(and maybe deliver it the 3 miles to my yard).
    That SM465 and NP205 might be handy if the TH400 croaks in my 82 diesel-- /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

The suburban is still there too--I peeked inside,it appears to be an automatic(hope its not a 700R4!)and the body is so-so--not that great,and it has a tailgate,not barn doors--the barn doors would have excited me more!--motor and other drivetrain stuff still a mystery--I'm going to try to get a better look tomorrow.I'd like to get it just for a winter beater if it runs and drives,and the price is right--my van sucks in the snow,and its only being used as a storage bin unregistered at the moment--the burb would be a good substitute,4x4 plus room for passengers,and I could put the plow from my 74 K20 on it--but it wont be much help as far as the crane and flatbed for scrapping stuff--unless I do what my friend suggested-- /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif--a crew cab flatbed crane home conversion!!!(cut the burb behind the doors and make a back wall,put the bed and crane on it!! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Then I read tonights classifieds--"1984 F150 4x4-V-8-with plow--4 speed--Runs,Drives,and Plows--$595 !!!---I hate fords,but man--to buy a plow equipped truck of any make that works this time of year for less than a grand is practically unheard of!!.(*especially if its a GM--fords to tend to have low resale value in my area).
    The kicker here is I have the 82 K20 already,with a plow--I dont really HAVE to have another truck with a plow--but its nice if you do--if you get stuck you can pull the other rig out and rescue yourself--or if one truck breaks down you can keep plowing with the other one(I have a few customers who depend on me to keep their bussinesses plowed out)so there lies the dilema--after looking at that 1/2 ton,I'm tempted to just patch my 74 back together,but its too far gone in a lot of ways.And with my mothers declining health I'm between a rock and a hard place--hate to have 2 trucks all apart and have to scrap both if the worst happens--having something to work on would help keep my mind off unpleasant thoughts--but more than one friend has said to junk the 74,and all the scrap in the yard,get back to work,and buy something from the 20th century later when I'm better off financially--but they dont have the "fever!". /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

I will post back on whatever I end up doing--for those of you who are near me--if you guys are looking for parts or parts trucks,let me know,I am always in the boneyards around here and I know pretty much what is available(and have seen several desireable trucks better than the ones I just described get scrapped! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif).
    Sorry for the long post--I cant seem to write a short one,can I ??? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

So where's that 1st Gen for $1500 located????
    /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

If you don't want it....I might want to jump on that! PM me or whatever.....

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. diesel4me

Thats the problem--I want them ALL!!--but I dont have the cash--even the 300 buck 1/2 ton will put me in a real bind--I'm planning on junking a lot of iron in my yard to recoup the loss --if I buy another truck,thats how much it will have to cost--the lower the price--the better.I've even thought about just getting another tranny and reviving my K20,or perhaps divorcing the transfer case and use one of the trannys I already have(car and 2wd truck style)--I'm full of ideas--but low on funds-- /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The 71 K5 I saw advertised in the Want Ad magazine --its been in there a few weeks(much to my suprise!)--since I dint have 1500 cash,I didnt call and waste the owners time--but I would love to own another first generation K5 or truck--.It was located in MA just west of boston somewhere,cant recall what town(Bolton?Stow?Berlin?)
    There is a picture of it in the book--pictures can be deceiving,but it didnt look that tough at all--the ad says"very restoreable"--dont know if thats good or bad!!--I think it was in the "antique cars" section. I also saw the diesel K5's in there too-(there were 3 or 4 in all,but 2 were big buck nice rigs)-I was very tempted to try to get one of them for the winter,put my plow on it,and have a spare 6.2 diesel around in case one croaks.But I have been told to stop being "truck happy" and thin out my fleet by more than one person--and since I am not working steady,that isnt a bad idea probably--but I've done pretty well in the past buying old junks and resurecting them--it does get old patching rusted hulks though--and nothing is free--it cost me 20 bucks in gas just to go look at a few trucks that were pretty far away--and were junk--and even if they werent,it would be 100 bucks or more to tow them home--A trailer might be a good investment for me--I could haul em home--then to the scrapper myself--none of my trucks are really equipped for towing though-- /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.
    I dunno-maybe I am nuts to want all theese 4x4's! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif