Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how much would you pay?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by stu, Jun 10, 2003.

1. stu

stu Registered Member

I was out today junkyard hopping and Oh what I found. Three 5.9l cummins turbo diesels. so I asked. The first was low mileage: $3000 the second was high mileage: $2500 and the last, I asume, was a blown head gasket. there was water in the oil: $1800
    If only I had the funds

2. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

They go from 1250 to 7000 around here! The local guy wants 2000 for a mid milage engine here! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I was just going to post about one that I saw in the bargin hunter the other day. 5.9 with 0 miles on the rebuild, the guy wants 6500cnd but it says "Must sacrifice for best offer". I would have been all over it if not for the cost of having it installed. Cheapest I could find was $8000 for the install alone! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    One guy even quoted me $15,000 just to put the damn thing in. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    So now I'm going to get a 6.5LTD somewhere down the road. Only $2000 to get it installed. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. stu

stu Registered Member

I got an 82 GMC and a guy told me all I would need to DROP a 5.9lTD in my truck would be the mounts from a 292 in line 6. But it will be a while before i try.

5. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I honestly dont understand how it could cost so much to do it, but I asked about 6-10 mechanics from here to the coast and they all gave me the same disheartening answer. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Cheapest I could find was $8000 for the install alone! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    One guy even quoted me $15,000 just to put the damn thing in. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's why I'm gonna install it myself! Hardest part will be the wiring for the 4L80E. Keep the fuel turned down and you don't even need an intercooler,'89-91 dodges were non-intercooled. Paying a shop to add a custom intercooler will add mucho money, a custom I/C would run atleast $1K for the cooler alone.
    I picked my CTD up for $500. Turbo didn't turn and it ended up that water got down the intake and rusted the valves. Dis-assembled the turbo, cleaned up and seems like it'll work. Pulled the head and should just need a valve job. What I've found in Michigan is the CTDs run for the same price as used 6.5TDs, in my case the yard wanted $1600 for a take out non-turbo van 6.5, mechanical pump and $1600 for my take out 5.9, due to the issues I found they refunded my the difference and charged me the core charge.

But if I ran a 6.5 I wouldn't need to install a D60 to handle the weight/power either /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.