Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how much?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MountainMan, May 29, 2003.

1. MountainMan

MountainMan Registered Member

how much should a shop charge to replace a fuel pump? parts and labor?

2. BigBadJap

BigBadJap Registered Member

NAPA Fuel Pumps Fuel Pump (OE Mechanical Type)
    Usually ships in 24 hours. NFP
    M60039 $ 23.49
    NAPA Tru-Flow Fuel Pump (OE Mechanical Type)
    Usually ships in 24 hours. TFP
    2M60039

Parts are cheap... if you are a little mechanically inclined:
    http://www.champion-auto.com/PDF/PDF9.htm

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> A fuel pump is easy to change, it's a good first project for a mechanical newbie, if that is indeed what you are. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Labor rates would probably be a couple of hours, so between $100-$150.</font>

4. MountainMan

MountainMan Registered Member

Thank you, maybe i will give it a go... would be my bigest mechanical project to date...

ya, lame i know...

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Yeah when I put a new one in my big truck, other than being absolute hell to get at, it went in pretty easy.

May want to go electric, there's a few differing opinions on this though, and I haven't looked through them, you may want to.

Anyway, if I replaced mine again, I'd take the fender off before doing the dive through the hood thing again.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

ya, lame i know...

[/ QUOTE ]

never think that way.... if you dont know you dont know....

I still cant take a motor apart and put it back together.. but i can do a few things..... i have done body swaps, motor swaps, replaced clutches and that little stuff....

the cool thing with a site like this is everyone is willin to help and not bash you .... i totally agree.. give it a shot.... you cant go wrong... if you start it and get confused.. grab a digital camera, or hell even a fling... walmart will give you a disk with pics on it....

post them here and people will see where you are.... and assist from there....

p.s. my first major job was when i was 16...
    want a good reading history on a 16 year old waiting to go wheelin just read here... good until sunday as i move into a new house.....
    Buildup of RootBreaker

7. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yea, i blew my gov-bomb on the street, replaced that at 17, redid my suspension at 18 over spring break, as long as you have people around you, or with you, or on here to help you get though it, you should be alright, but it pays to be self reliant.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

The trickiest part of the fuel pump replacement is bolting it back up and getting the pushrod to stay up. I use a hacksaw blade to keep the damn thing outta the way while I thread the bolts. You may not know what the hell I'm talking about but it'll all come together once you start... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif