Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OLDSTEEL, Apr 7, 2000.

1. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

I have seen all the posts on changing over to a 14 bolt, but I have never seen anyone talk about total costs. I am looking for a 14 bolt from a bone yard about how much should I excpect to pay for it, how much would it cost for me to make it like new, and how much for all the little stuff to install? I plan on doing all the work myself so I know who to blame if it breaks

74 K5

Leave it like you found it, or better!

2. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

I bought and built up a 14 bolt floater for my Suburban and it cost me ~$800. The rearend was $150. I put in a Detroit locker, axle bearings, seals, lube, brake shoes, brake springs, wheel cylinders, Heli-coiled one of the axle bolt holes, raised the shock brackets, and a new yoke. It already had the gear I wanted, 3.73:1 and the carrier bearings were fine. I did end up spending $200 on lengthening my driveshaft because there is a difference in yoke position between a semi-floater, that the Burb came with and a floater that I put in.
    CB

3. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

I just found a 14 boltFF at a junk yard, it has 4.10 gears, and about 100K miles on and it's going for about $250. The guy I talked with said it was from a 3/4 ton 83 Burb 2x4 and would not work in my 74 K5. Is this true?

74 K5

Leave it like you found it, or better!

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>If you look hard and get lucky, you could find a good rear and the parts to convert the front (or replace it with an 8-lug axle) for a few hundred bucks. The part of the swap that really hurts your wallet is buying a new set of 16.5" tires and wheels. They are more expensive than 6-lug 15" wheels and tires.</font color=blue>

5. 88Jimmy

88Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I Just in stalled a 14 bolt and Dana 60 front
    With tires rims I have spent close to 4 grand
    Well that includes a 4"lift too springs all around

350 Vortec TPI D60 14Bolt 4"lift 35 BFG A/T