Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how "multi-purpose" can a mud tire be?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vortec, Apr 22, 2005.

1. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i'm used to all terrains. pirelli scorpion a/t on my 94 c1500. great on the road, and excellent in minor offroad stuff. sand, and shallow mud and snow. but, i haven't tested them in the same level stuff i drive the blazer. the k5 will need new tires soon, and i'm not sure if i should go with some 33x12.5 scorpions or the, more aggressive, slightly cheaper dunlop mud rover(also 33x12.5). i mostly want to maintain and improve the truck's ability in mud. but, i do not want to compromise ability on sand or slickrock. i've heard mud tires will just dig a hole in sand and that the large voids lower actual contact area on rock, hurting traction. opinions, experiences, thoughts?

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I know for rock crawling a lot of people sipe, or cut more grooves, in their tires. It's supposed to help the tires grip when aired down. I almost had a set of mud rovers when I found a place with a set of sidewinders 33x12.50x15 for $100 a tire. Very nice tires, not too loud on the highway. Of course I also listen to the cd player pretty loud :D

3. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I have a set of Dayton Timberline Muds, similar in price and design to the Mud Rover (better tread, IMO, but same plys and stuff). I havent siped them. They do great in rocks, mud, etc. Sand is OK, I just air way down. I'd definitely go with an MT over an AT for the K5.

4. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

sounds good. i like the look of the sidewinders. where we usually go, there is a lot of thick clay that packs tires easily, so those big voids could really help fling the mud out. road noise isn't a major concern, even though it takes a lot of street miles to reach somewhere in the dallas/fort worth area that isn't paved. it's not my dd. thanx

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

for sand you will do much better with ANY tire if you run about 8-10psi in them. i have ran both iroks and tsl swampers in the sand and when aired down they do awesome.

6. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I see siped or cut tsls own rocks all the time... only question is how cheap can you cut em?

7. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

So far my sidewinders seem to clean out very well. I've had to drive through some wet sticky clay the past week as my road is dug up for a water line and all I leave are tracks, the clay doesn't seem to stick in the treads which is nice. I'm hoping to get into some rocks and mud this summer :D