Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How noisy is too noisy....fuel pump

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by johnny reb, Jul 28, 2003.

1. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

Just picked up my 1998 GMC Sierra 1500 from the dealer on Friday. Filled it up with gas and now I'm hearing the fuel pump humming quite loudly. I've searched the archives here and have found that this is a common problem with this model. Dealer also tells me it's normal.

My question is how much noise is this supposed to make? Mine is quite noticeable. When I'm driving with the windows down I can still hear it whining. When I come to a stop, it's really noticeable. If it's just sitting in the driveway running, I can hear it from about 30-40 feet away. The truck runs fine, but being that loud, it just doesn't seem "normal" to me.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

it may not seem normal but it is. Well its not an indicator of a problem. Sounds like you just got a particularly noisy one. Consider that they push somewhere around 30psi I believe and I have no idea on the flow rate that suckers working hard. My friends mom has a 97 Suburban you can hear that from inside the vehicle and I alawys go looking for whats making that noise then I remember the fuel pump.

3. b55baron

b55baron Registered Member

My wife has a '99 Tahoe and the fuel pump can be pretty loud. I took it to the shop I use for work that I can't and/or don't want to do. It's an AC Delco shop and they really seem to know their stuff. They suggested replacing the fuel filter. That quieted it down for a while. A couple of months later it seemed to be getting louder again so I took it back to the same shop. They checked it out and said the voltage draw of the pump and the pressure output were within specs and it was just loud. They also mentioned that they could replace the pump but couldn't quarantee the new pump wouldn't be just as loud. I asked what he would do if it was his and he said for the price ($300 for the dealer-only pump, $150 labor) he'd keep driving it, so we didn't replace it. That was almost a year ago (14,000 miles) and we haven't had any problems.

The guy at the shop also mentioned that the Techron additive in Chevron gas does a good job of keeping the fuel system clean. My wife always buys the cheap stuff, but whenever I drive it, I try to fill it up with Chevron regular unleaded.

BTW, the second time I thought the pump was too loud was on a Saturday when the shop I like was closed. I took it by a couple of nearby shops to get their opinion. Neither checked anything but suggested replacing the pump right away (for the same $450 or so) based on the noise. One even hinted that we not drive it any more until we had it replaced. As I said, we've put 14,000 miles on it since then, so I wouldn't look at the noise as necessarily an indication of a problem.

4. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

I just put a new one in, and it's loud as hell. I look at it as a good thing.

5. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

Try a new fuel filter, that will quiet it down. The Pumps have to make 60 PSI of pressure at the injector or it will not fire or open the small injectors thus no gas in the cylinder. That is why the pumps are so loud, the do a alot of work /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif