Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How often do cops need their guns?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by divorced, Mar 8, 2005.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

This was awesome! - I was at a local gas station which is at a 4 way stop in town and noticed a marked cop car sitting in the parking lot near the street. In the lot of the gas station across the street there was another marked cop car parked near the street. At first I though maybe a funeral was coming and thought nothing more of it. Then two guys driving a first generation GMC pull into the lot followed by a gray unmarked car and get pulled over. At the same time the other two cops instantly move in. Two of the three cops were yelling commands at the occupants of the GMC (and I could tell by the tone of their voices that they weren't about to take any crap from anyone) and the third stood back with his gun drawn and was ready for action. I was getting in my truck and was about 8 feet from the cop with the gun. Thoughts were racing through my mind - should I try to leave and possibly run the cop over or interfere or distact him? Stick around to see what happens but be in the way? Either way I felt as though I would interfere, so I quietly left the scene. I wonder what the guys in the truck could have done wrong?

So, I got to thinking, this is the first time I have ever seen a cop get out his gun for police business and possible protection. I live in a small town and not much happens here so that may be why. What about other cops? How often do you need your guns? Have you ever fired you guns in self defense?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ive had guns drawn on me before, scary ****.

i took a week off work for an accident i was in, i was working 3rd shift painting a samsclub. i went back to the shop to do my paperwork and take care of the supplies at 4am. for a few months before the alarm had a problem with the buttons so we didn't use it. well no one told me that they fixed it while i was gone. i walked in the back door (front door sounds if alarm is on) and did what i needed to do, took me about 30 minutes. when i went out the front door, the alarm sounded, freaked the **** out of me. i turned it off and then back on, and left not thinking about it. well when i went to go out the driveway, a cop car cuts me off and another pulls up to me. then i seen a few other cops ducking down and running toward me with guns drawn. i opened the door not knowing what to do. they instruct me to put my hands up and walk back so they could cuff me. about 30 minutes later, the security company cleared me. i was still shaking when i got home about 1 hour later. im shaking right now thinking about it.

im from a small town of about 700 and have never had any runins with the law till then.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I would've had to change my britches!

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

When cops start pulling their guns, I run the other way.................. :D

I've only taken mine out once so far. Haven't shot anyone, well except for that one time at the range and I was off duty for a couple of weeks........ :D

It all depends. I know guys that have never drawn in 20+ years and I know guys that have been on the job just for a few years and draw down on someone constantly due to the number of situations they are in.

Just in the last 3 months, one cop that was an instructor at my CA school was shot during a traffic stop and another guy that I had talked to a few times during my travels shot a robbery suspect.

5. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

When I first moved to Denver my wife and I got an apartment and the first night, before anything was moved in, decided to make dinner and sit on the floor (I was hoping to "christen" the new place, truth be told;) ). We're there about 20 minutes when I hear the hall door fly open and boots punding down the hall and some officers whipering commands to one another about how they're gonna take the door down. I open the door to explain that we just leased and I'm not whoever they're looking for, and the lead officer already has his gun drawn and my face is about ten inches from his as I peek out. Next thing I know, he's got my shirt and is shushing me with the gun about an inch from my nose.

Turns out they were serving a felony no-knock on the guy upstairs from me, drug dealer fom Mexico.

The wife and I went to the basement while they crashed in and dragged him out, and then waited a week until the landlord had officially evicted him and his family before we moved in. That sucked.

6. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

I had a gun drawn on me by a cop....

I was stopped for "failing to accelerate at a green light" -I was with friends chatting, and was about 3 seconds late off the line after the light turned green.

Of course I was in a 1986 t-bird, and I had looooong hair. I couldn't find the registration (it was REALLY burried in the console) and after searching for a while the cop draws his gun, tells me to step out of the vehicle, and put my hands on the roof. Freaked me the **** out. After everything checked out, he asked if he could search the car (and said that if I refused he would "drag me in" right then)...so obviously I agreed.

At that point, he looked at me (probably seeing I was about to piss my pants) and just said "Ok go home, if I see you in town again tonight, I'm going to arrest you" Never did search the car, and just let me drive off :screwy:

-It was then that I truly began to respect officers :surepal: (sorry bubba)

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

When my dad worked a t Macellan AFB. he was a civil. Contractor. He had been there so long he had access t o pretty much every hanger on base. So an air show came to town and they brought the F-117, this was right after it had been un-veiled to the public. He had clearance to enter the hanger it was in, but when they put it in, that hanger became off-limits.

So he walks in the service entrance (little hole in the hanger door), and like right away he is on the deck with a boot on his head and an M-16 in his back.:yikes:

He walked in the door that night white as a sheet and still shaking:eek1:

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Having long hair myself, I've had the same crap with the police wanting too search my car every time I've been pulled over. They never found anything on me or in the car. I got really annoyed and spoke to a atty about it. (Same cop, small town) The atty told me too refuce the search, and let him haul me in. That he would sue that cop. Well, never did come to that.

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Probable cause for police harassment.................... :D

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Pricks cross all occupations, some good, some bad.

I've only had a gun on me once, and it was a prick kid doing it while hunting.

I'd like to think I wouldn't much care having a gun on me, but who knows.

11. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

bubba... you are pulling my leg right???....

Whether it was a one man sgts car on early morning at Malibu or a two man unit in the Firestone ghetto I probably had my gun out on just about every stop....no ... not on grandma and the kids.... but every stop where my training ... and experiences...told me something wasnt right... and that was most of the time ...
    and if I wasnt pointing a pistol directly at person I had my hand in my pocket with my 2" pointed at them...

I always told people...lead doesnt just fall out of my gun.... you... the suspect make that happen... pointing doesnt kill.... but if I pointed my gun at you and you WERE innocent I would appologize and tell you why from my point of view... you might not like it but you would understand me
    Ive been shot at a bunch of times.... had the radio car shot several times... Ive shot back several times.... each time it was easier...
    Yes I fielded citizens complaints.... but mostly I was able to handle those right in the field with the "offended" person...never was one founded...

people today see reality shows and cops and think they have a clear understanding whats going on.... they dont
    I see shows on how to fly... but I know better than to think I can be an armchair pilot....
    crash and burn

I think about being back in a radiocar and dont think I could do it anymore....Im too old,,,, and wouldnt want to get hurt anymore,,,I also dont think I could take a whiney citizen anymore... kinda like a boxer thats taken one too many punches....its a mindset really... and damn am I glad Im retired... retarded,,opps... getting the big check...

Being in a radiocar is a young mans game... when I see grey haired farts like me still in one I think... yea bud you arent kidding me... you arent going to be any hotshot gun... what are you DOING there....
    20-40 then get out of a black and white... thats long enough to develop a healthy attitude.... that is if youre still healthy

There is life after poleecework abet maybe not as much fun
    cam

12. Resurrection_Joe

Ok, I won't make that joke

What are you carrying in the pocket for backup

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You know, that is probley it. Up here, it's comman too see guys with long hair, and I haven't been pulled over once. But back in the Omaha area, it's not as comman, and that's where I was getting pulled over even though I hadn't violated any traffic laws. (Note; my driving habbits haven't changed, always use turn signals, come to complete stop, obay speed limit) But now I'm not out and about after dark very often. That may have had something too do with it also.

14. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

If possession of a Mullet was illegal in my town, we'd be arrestin people all the time.

On a traffic stop, I've always got my hand on my pistol as I approach the vehicle, unless its broad day light and I can see little ms ethel and little ms mable the two old ladys that just left the beauty shop.

I drew my weapon last nite, went to a domestic an they hid in a back room, I brought them out at gun point.

15. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I already told my cop/gun story here, but Joe, you gotta be kidding me. I don't know if anyone else here has been shot (not shot AT), but I have and even though it was a .22, it scared the sh*t outta me. I've owned guns my whole life, but never had the respect I did after taking that bullet in the back. Although on the flip side it did give me more respect for a good piece of ass, since that's what I got shot over.

16. Resurrection_Joe

I didn't say shot, just a gun pointed at me. If I got shot I'd be shooting back and screaming, or be dead.

17. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Ok i havent heard that story?

It scares the heck out of me to think of beeing shot

18. Resurrection_Joe

I've consi........... no never mind

19. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I understood what you meant, I'm just saying I have a healthy respect for guns and an even healthier respect for the dumbassery of the average human. It's the idiot behind the gun I'm more worried about than the gun itself. I knocked the **** out of one of my best friends for pointing an "unloaded" gun at me, hey it was unloaded after all, but this is the same nimrod that zipped his own d*ck up while camping, not exactly a confidence building event.

Oh, and I had no option to shoot back in my situation, I was half dressed going the opposite direction in a jeep at about 30 MPH, I'm older, wiser, and better armed now and don't climb out of girl's windows in the middle of the night anymore either.:grin:

I'm just saying anyone in their right mind..........

Oh wait, sorry Joe:p:

20. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Of course.

Let me tell ya, we have a deputy in my department, he's 50 years old and I guarantee that he will hang with the young guys and probably put most of them in the dirt. :D