Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how old is too old for kids

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Larry_in_Tx, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

I just turned 30 at the end of Spt. (and holding) and I guess all the old man crap my friends have been giving me is getting to me. My wife and I have been married for almost eight years and no luck with the kid thing yet. Long story short, Dr found a problem with her and went in with a lightsaber and "fixed" it. Well that was 3 years ago and no kids yet. At this rate, who know if/when it will happen.
    So what"s the cut off age? I don't want to be the old fart in a wheelchair watching my kid play a middle school football game. The Dr. said every thing is still ok with her so I guess we are still trying. Maby I'm just not stick'n it far enough in there and don't have to worry about it.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> My Mom had my sister when she was 38 and she did just fine with her. Figure if you have a kid when your 40 then they'll graduate high school when your 58, so that's kinda pushin it... Just keep trying to stick it in there a bit farther! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif</font color>

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

stick it in farther and also try more often like a couple times a day /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

We have 2 girls, the first was born 4 months before I turned 29 and the second was born I was a little past 34. My wife is 10 months older than I am. I don't feel we waited too long and I find I seem to be in the same age range as other parents with kids the same age (within a few years + or -)

Don't get all stressed out over it, and keep practicing /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif We tried for 2 years using the rhythm method with no luck and found out accidentally that my wife's most fertile time is earlier in the cycle than average (day 11 versus day 14)

Rene

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I now know entirely too much about your wifes cycle.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif later.

jacob

7. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

My wife and I both are 35 and were married for 9 years before we started trying to have kids. We had our first at 32 and we're expecting another next month. Don't sweat it and keeping practicing. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I started young I guess- I'm 31 and my eldest is 5 1/2. Of course, I was married at 22 so by 25 the wife and I were ready to start trying.

I think the age thing depends a lot on how young you feel. It also depends a lot on personality. Some guys become grumpy old men at 30, while some still act like kids at 60. If you can honestly say that a screaming kid welcoming you at the door after a hard day's work won't bother you, than go for it.

Personally, I'm glad I had kids early in life. I have a relatively labor intensive job, and some nights I'm almost too tired to come home and play monster or chase around. My 5 yr old has almost grown out of that stage, but my 1 1/2 yr old can't wait until I get home so I can chase her around and wrestle. I don't know if I would have the energy to play as much if I was ten yers older.

ANother bonus of having kids before 30 is that they'll be out of the house(hopefully) before I'm 50, which will allow my wife and I to travel and do things we want to before we start having to wear Depends on a daily basis.

I have one last comment- don't feel bad if you and your wife decide that you are too old to have kids. There seems to be this societal pressure for couples to have kids for some reason. I know quite a few couples who have decided to go childless and to be honest there are times that I envy their freedom. It's funny though, because a buddy of mine without kids admits that he envies ME because of all the joy my kids bring to my life.

9. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

For me...I don't want to wait no later than 35 years old. That's if I even want kids. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

10. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Had our first when I was 20, John was 29, had the second when I was 21 John was 30 (15 months apart).........

I wouldn't do it any different.....my thoughts- when I'm 38 my youngest will graduate highschool....John will be 47....still young enough to "get it awn" without the kids!!

Brandy

11. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

my mom had a kid at 38 and 40

12. TITAN

TITAN 1/2 ton status

I am the second family for my father and mother. My father was 53 the year I was born and 58 the year my sister was born. My mother is quite a bit younger than my father was. I have to say that my father was the best. Of course I am biased with my opinion, as well as my mother being the greatest. Love is the only thing that anyone needs to worry about. Age is not that relevant to having children only love. Without it what matters anyway? My family went from one of the best off in town, to almost the worst off for some time. But you would have never known it at our house because of the love that we had for one another.

Have you and your wife ever concidered adoption. I am getting ready to adopt my oldest daughter, she knows that I am not her biological father, but I am Dad, and love is what did that. She has enough love that she does not even wonder what that other man is doing or where he is at, she has more love than she can use, as well as the other two children. Although my wife nor I for the most part have a whole lot, we do have love, and in a few years when ours are a little older, we are going to adopt a child. We cannot offer riches, a big house, or brand new cars, but we can offer love. Stop and think about it. All kidding aside on this Love is all that a child needs. LOVE. I think from reading some of your previous stuff and the way that you talk about it now, you two will do just fine whenever the child is born. Now or later.

God I hope that did not make me sound Gay! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

It really depends who you ask, not much more than that. I'm 26, and my 1st baby girl is going to be 4 in november. My brother on the other hand, is 13, while our oldest sister is 35.
    My parents had my youngest brother at 43 (mom) and 47 (dad). They do just fine. It's probably better for my dad cause he's much less career minded and pre-occupied, so does more stuff with my brother.

What makes too old? Physical health is all I can really think of as a reason there might be a too old.

14. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't give up and don't stress(too much). My sister had cervical cancer and her husband has lupus. with all of the drugs he was taking and all of the trips to fertility doc, it happened when they weren't expecting it and it happened naturally. Another story, My in-laws tried for seven years and gave up. Two months after they gave up they concieved my wife. She was 37 and he 40. Your only old as you feel and kids keep you young is what they say.