Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how quickly do you guys wear out your shocks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by solowookie, Oct 17, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I've noticed that I'm going through a set of shocks about every 3 months... running a 4" BDS lift with greasable bushings, and my k5 does see a ton of rough mountain roads. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

What shocks are you using anyway? Maybe an upgrade to a better quality shock, monotube like Bilsteins or that new Explorer Pro Comp MX-6 shock.

3. solowookie

well - my first set were the piece of garbage BDS shocks... the ones I've have on now are car qwest premiums. they ride real nice with my on-road k5, but I didn't really like the way the felt with my lifted k5 suspension...

we wondering if a better quality shock would last longer. I've always wanted to try a set of good pro-comp's. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Why not run a set of rebuildable shocks? like bilstiens, sway-a-ways or something? I would think it would save money in the long run, especially if you go through shocks like you do.

5. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

here is somthin to get you to laugh, my truck was orderd as an 87' HD 1\2 ton, now get this it still has the original shocks (at 150K miles), and they still work right.

6. solowookie

150k??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif man I wish I'd get the kind of milage...

any other vehicle I've owned I've never worn shocks this quickly, but I sure seem to go through them fast on this one!

I didn't know they made rebuildable shocks, but that might be something I will have to consider. you got any web links for these rebuildable shocks???

7. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yea but yur truck is lifted right?, my truck sits stock hight /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, i dont think the previous owner beat the snot ouf of my truck (im the 2nd owner /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif) i would like a lift, but i think my truck sits fine as it is right now, good luck with the rebuildable shocks, and shocks for that matter

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Hell I still have on the Monroes (or are the Gabrials) I picked up from Autozone 4 years ago on my truck. Seem to work fine but I have out modded them and will be changed out for longer as soon as I get my other limiting factors (shock mounts, Parking brake cables) sorted out. Hopefully I can get them exchanged since I think they are lifetime warranty. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What do you mean "worn" out. Are they leaking fluid, lost dampening (by pulling one out and verifying), or something else. That seems awfully quick to be wearing out shocks. Not doubting you as stranger things have happened, but just wondering if it's that or something else that makes it seem as if the shocks are worn.

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

would they sell longer shocks for a 4inch lift?

12. Yes, they sell longer shocks for 4", 6", 8", 10" etc etc. Then there is those of us that run like 12" lift shocks on 4 and 6" lifts.
    That way we get more flex because the shocks dont limit our travel. Hope this helps. Later

13. solowookie

they loose their dampening... I put the lift on last may, and my k5 was down for about 9 months with a blown engine... I've been through 2 sets of shocks, and this thing isn't a daily driver.

It was used very hard this summer though. it wasn't beat, but it saw a ton of really rough mountain roads, and got a few pretty good workout's on really rainy days.

even then - I can't image that I'd wear out a second pair of shocks this quickly. I haven't even done any true off-roading with it cuz I haven't been able to afford the breakdown's.

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

They have a chart that shows the travel of the shocks and full compression and extension. When I went and got my shocks I got the truck full flexed and took measurments of both compressed and extended. Took 1 inch off the compressed ( to make sure I would not bottom them out) and went to the Zone and found the shocks that best matched my figures. If they don't have them in stock they will order them.