Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How rare are 35 splined Dana 60's?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Apr 24, 2001.

How rare are 35 splined Dana 60\'s?

I am looking around at a few different Dana 60's front ends, but would like the 35 spliners if possible. What years or models were they in? I found a military 1 ton with a Dana 60 front with 4:56's for a descent price. Would it have 35 splined shafts? Next question is: would I have to change the carrier to put in 4:88 or 5:13 gears when it has 4:56's now?

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: How rare are 35 splined Dana 60\'s?

Ok, as for my knowledge, and I could be wrong, [​IMG]ALL D60 fronts had the 35 spline shafts. These 35 spline shafts were available stock form, ONLY as the inner shafts. Those outer shafts you hear about having 35 splines are aftermarket items.
    The 4.56 carrier will work for 4.88 and 5.13 gears. Anything that had 4.10 and higher gears would require either the case change or thicker gear swap.

2. Not much after a little research

I just did a search and came up with a mix of information. A few said the same thing you did about all inners being 35 splined and the outers 30's. Some others talked about there being 30 and 35 splined 60's. Who knows, maybe I will call Dynatrac or Boyce.

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Re: Not much after a little research

Guess I could be wrong but it was my understanding that front D60's were all 35 spline and rear D60's were 30 spline. Am I wrong??

89 K5 Silverado
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com>http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com</A>

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Re: Not much after a little research

I think some of the D60 rears were 19 spline... The older units(early 70's).

Mike - <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>[​IMG]

5. thatK30guy

The big D60 front axle was started into production in 1977. They all came out with the inner shafts at 35 spline, and the short stub outer shafts at 30 spline.
    While there have been many D60's used on different vehicles, yes, they have had odd ball spline counts over the years. Keep in mind, BigBurb is requesting the spline count for a D60 front axle, not the rears. Those short stub shafts can easily be changed to 35 spline by swapping in such shafts from ORU, Dynatrac, etc.

6. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

Some rear Dana 60's are 35 spline but these are pretty rare. I bought a 30 spline rear and modified it for 35 spline axles. I've heard of older 19 spline rear Dana 60 axles. I don't know of any factory 35 spline outer stub axle on a front Dana 60. I think they are all 30 spline. I don't know about the inner front axles, I've only heard about 35 spline. I think you can put Dana 70 outer stubs on a Dana 60, these are 35 spline.
    CB

7. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

There is a stock dana 35 spline outer stub axle. I have the P/N some where. I think the application is a D70 but they work just fine in a D60 with the 35 spline warn premium hubs. If people are interested I'll dig up the number again.

8. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

Yes these are for Dana70 and you do have to change your hubs. This is an option that I am looking at also.
    What I have been told though , is that the inner splines taper and that they will in turn break which are more dificult to replace.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com/>http://www.whiteknight.scriptma
    nia.com
    </A>

9. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

It's been a while since I've been in the front end of my truck but what I recall is that the inner axle tapers down to 1.5" 35 spline. The outers taper up from 1.375 to 1.5 35 spline. I've not broken any yet but I ASS U ME that the outers will fail if the U-joint doesn't.

10. Here is my main concern

I don't want to buy a Dana 60 front axle and find out it has 30 spline inners and then I will have to eventually change the carrier and all the shafts. That is pretty much a whole damn axle minus the tubes !!!!

11. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Re: Here is my main concern

Ah come on what's the difference its only 30 vs. 35, you can live with a difference of 5
    Opinion has it that if the o.d. is the same then there is not much strenght difference between 35 sp. o.d. 1.3X
    and 30 sp. o.d. 1.3X .
    or
    the answer is very very rare, less than 10% of the production Dana 60's.

12. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

Maybe I'm just lucky but I have two of the D60s with 35 spline inners. The first I pulled out of an 89 1ton duelly and had the yard change the set up to a single. The second is in my 83 1 ton work truck. I believe that most of the 81-91 chevy 1 tons run the 35 spline inners. You could always pull the diff cover and try counting. It would be tedious and it requires an open diff but it is quicker than pulling the axle out.

13. thatK30guy

No, youre not lucky. ALL D60's have 35 spline inner shafts. Its those outer shafts that all of us are not so lucky to have. Those have the 30 splines. Now if you were to change these 30 spline shafts over to the 35 spline, then you would be lucky!!! [​IMG]

14. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What's the cost on that conversion?

David Oliver
    '85 'burban - 6.2L J NA
    5.5"lift, 35"BFGs
    *B&B 6.2L TD and beefed T-700 coming soon*