Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How rare is a 91K5 w/ manual tranny?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bone85K5, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

I saw one of these today for sale. It was a 91 (according to "for sale" sign and had a 4speed manual in it. Really looked cool. Thinking about maybe giving it a drive around tomorrow....deff do not need it (have 3K5's right now :)

Ben
    85 K5 (me)
    91 Sub (Dad)
    90 K5 (Me & Dad)
    95 Sub (Mom)
    96 Tahoe (girlfriend)

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Fairly rare. I read once that by the late 80's, over 85% of all K5's were ordered from the factory with auto trannies. [​IMG] Usually (but not always), the manual shfts are found on base trucks. No carpet, vinyl seats, no side liners in the rear, etc. Just your basic work truck. Every once in a while you'll run across one that someone custom ordered with most of the comfort options and the manual trans.

Oh yeah, since most of the stripper, base trucks were bought by folks trying to keep the price low, they usually didn't spring for an optional gear ratio. This means that you're likely to find that it's got the dreaded 3.08 gears. [​IMG]

Here's the list of axle ratio RPO codes so you can check to see what it left the factory with:

GU2 = 2.73
    GU4 = 3.08
    GU6 = 3.42
    GT4 = 3.73
    GT5 or GT8 = 4.10
    G80 = Gov-lock

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Around here about 50% of the 89-91 K5's i see for sale are 4 speed truck...and of those truck all are ex-forestry trucks.

My 81 Jimmy was a fully optioned version with a factory 4 speed. It came with A/.C, power everything, carpets, etc.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

4. HarryH3

So now we know where most of the 15% that didn't have auto trannies ended up! [​IMG] Hardly ever see them in the US, at least the later model years.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>

5. tRustyK5

It's actually hard to find a non government K5 in the 89-91 range here. It seems they didn't sell well for some reason. Most of the ex-forestry trucks are being sold off now so a lot of the smaller car lots are picking them up. Most get a quick paint job and sit on the lot for a couple of months.

Almost all the ex-forestry ones I've seen have custom winch bumpers and heavy duty channel iron rear bumpers. Most are close to rust free and they are all stripped option wise. Vinyl seats, no center console, AM radio, vinyl floor, manual windows etc.

If I didn't have a K5 yet I wouldn't hestitate to pick one up, they'd make a great base for a trail rig.

Rene

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

6. jplagg

jplagg Registered Member

I saw in the paper today an 85 with a 350 and 4 speed. its been running in the paper for a long time, so i'm hoping it will last a little longer till i can sell my truck and get some cash for one ! :-)

josh

7. HarryH3

Ya might want to call and make sure it's a manual 4 speed. I've seen folks list 700R4's as "4-speed transmission". [​IMG]

8. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

That is what I did about three years ago. 90 model ex-forestry Blazer completely rust free, only 53k miles. 465 Tranny and bare bones plastic interior. It was exactly what I was looking for.
    Russ

9. tRustyK5

Yup...Fuel injected 350, NP241 (can be converted to fixed yoke) usually well maintained, no options to break and all for a decent price because most 'normal' people want all the frills...a few I've seen here even still had the Warn 8274 winch attached to the front and had dual batteries. It's a hard combo to beat if you want a good base for a trail rig![​IMG]

Rene

10. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

The one I was describing above is fully optioned out. I guess it was custom order or someone put it in after the fact.

Ben
    85 K5 (me)
    91 Sub (Dad)
    90 K5 (Me & Dad)
    95 Sub (Mom)
    96 Tahoe (girlfriend)