Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how really good are the truck avenger carbs???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89Burben, Sep 10, 2006.

1. 89Burben

89Burben Registered Member

those with the truck avenger let me kno what ya think...

2. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

A friend at work has one in his bronco and he likes it. Seems to be a good carb for off- road use from what I have seen. Its not an incredible difference from other off-road carbs in terms of performance, and has many of the same carb problems. Routine tuning and maintenance, retuning for drastic elevation changes, flooding during extreme angles. Again not that it is bad, but it still is a carb and wont fix all of our wheeling problems.

3. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

I dont have any personal expereince them but i know muddytazz does. Him and i were talking about it one time and he didnt have much good things to say about it on his small block chevy, So you may want to ask him.

4. 89Burben

ok well i am just trying to figure out what i want to do. right now i have a tbi 454 and it does well, i just wanted to get a shortbed truck to put my drivetrain into and was just figuring out whether or not to keep the tbi when swaping everything over to a truck.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

TBI is BY FAR better than ANY carb will ever be.

6. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I was going to tell ya I am taking off my advenger and it will be for sale next week..

then you mentioned you had tbi.. well this is why mine is comming off!

keep the tbi

these are great carbs, and they do their job on inclines/decents and angles. However when it comes to high speed whoops or bumps they slosh fuel and like to bog. Also MOST require a bit of tune work to get it just right for ya.

like any carb, or most you can not just toss it on and go..needed to be set up and fine tuned.

KEEP THE TBI its to simple since you also already have the truck..dont be lazy:D

7. 89Burben

ok well i got a few questions i want a truck thats 25 years or older so i can A) be exept from emissions and B) get the antique car insurance so it would be only like 200 bucks a year.

should i get a 87 pickup (TBI) and just swap my engine into that and then maybe get another truck to swap the vins? to get past the 25 year mark...(we dont have inspection here in CT)

or get an older truck and swap the tbi into that along with the hydraulic clutch setup and pedals.......
    in my eyes this would be much more work

gimme so ideas
    thanks

8. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

just swap the new goods in to a truck that does not require inspection:deal:

skip the vin swaping, just swap the drive train..

seems like more effort, but not to bad when you consider that you get a nice clean drivetrain. clean up the chasis, and just retro fit with aftermarket parts where yu need em