Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How ridiculous can I get? ('Con - Moab - Hammers)

Discussion in 'Blazer Bash' started by zakk, Jul 15, 2003.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

How ridiculous can I get? (\'Con - Moab - Hammers)

The idea of running the Rubicon, Moab, and The Hammers in 10 days appeals to me in a sick and twisted way.

I could:

Start in San Jose on Sunday, Sept. 28. drive out to the 'Con (190.4 miles) 'Wheel the 'Con in 2 days ( Mon & Tues. Sept. 29-30)

Camp in South Lake Tahoe the evening of the 30th. Wed., Oct. 1 at dawn, set out for Moab (805.5 miles). Find a Motel 6 to sleep at when I get tired. Arrive in Moab the evening of Thurs. Oct. 2.

Blazer Bash is Friday, Oct. 3-5.

Leave Moab Monday, Oct. 6 early morning. Drive to Victorville, CA area for the Hammers (642.3 miles) camp at the lake bed. Tues., Oct. 7 'wheel one of the Hammers, camp again at the lake bed that evening.

Wednesday, Oct. 8 (the 10th day of the Cannonball Run) the last 392.5 miles would be driven back to my home in San Jose, CA.

I won't do it (can't afford the gas), but it sure is nice to dream. maybe one day when I have a tow rig...

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: How ridiculous can I get? (\'Con - Moab - Hammers)

Dreams are cool...keeps ya motivated. My dream this year is a little more straight forward, actually make Blazer Bash.

Leave Surrey 6 am Wednesday Oct 1. Stop near Idaho/Utah border and sleep/camp wherever looks convenient (there's not a whole lot of anything around there) ~800 miles.

Leave BFE at 7 am Thursday Oct 2. drive 350 miles and arrive in Moab sometime early in the afternoon...set up tent and remove doors, hard top, tailgate and install the tube doors. Try and contain my excitement at being in Wheeling Mecca...

Rene

3. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

You forgot about going to Big Dawg Safari on Oct. 17-19. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you hit the Hammers, get ahold of me. I'm only about 30 mins. from there. I'll come out. blazen91chevy@yahoo.com

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

If you're using gas money as the excuse, your being a kitty about it. You have to drive to Moab anyway, the Rubi is square on the path, you might burn one extra tank with that trail, compared to driving straight through. Then you've got to go through bakersfield anyway, from what I remember it's not that much extra distance down to victorville and the hammers (maybe I'm way off on this one). I'd figure out just how much extra it is, I think it's just going to be $100 or in extra gas. Remember, gas gets cheaper in the middle of nowwhere utah and nevada. I was paying $1.50-ish for diesel in some of those towns and gas was pretty close to the same. Heck I thought our gas was high at $1.65 till I went to CA.
    Doing a trip like that would be a nice accomplishment. It should leave you quivering like a crack wh*re when you're done. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

That was sweet /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I had to throw that quote into the sig /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Start a Paypal gas donation fund, I'll send 5 bucks! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

DONT DO IT MAN! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif If you reach your goals this early in the game you wont have anything else to live for. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

the problem I'm running into now is that no one wants to go with me /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Also, the idea of caravaning out with my SoCal friends would be nixed, but i would roll on the way back with them....

In all, it don't think it would be that bad. I wouldn't do Little Sluice or something like that, but at the same time, i'd be so damn close to all of it.

Like Dr. Watson said, the 'Con is on the way. you take 50 through and all you have to do is a right turn off 50 to Ice House Rd. Then, if you wheel all the way through, it dumps you off on 89, wich hooks up to 50 in S. Lake Tahoe.

The hammers are a bit more off the beaten path, but they are 10 hours away for me, So i'mn gonna hit that no matter what on the way back.

maybe if 1 or 2 others wanted to run it with me, I'd do it. but i can't wheel all that on my own. I know I got a few guys for the Hammers, but the 'Con, no one seems to be in on...

9. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If I can get my locker in the front in by then I'm up for the con with you and then moab, but I'll have to spectate the hammers, my truck would never fit...

10. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    If I can get my locker in the front in by then I'm up for the con with you and then moab, but I'll have to spectate the hammers, my truck would never fit...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you'dhave a hell of a time fitting on the 'Con too...

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the problem I'm running into now is that no one wants to go with me /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Also, the idea of caravaning out with my SoCal friends would be nixed, but i would roll on the way back with them....

In all, it don't think it would be that bad. I wouldn't do Little Sluice or something like that, but at the same time, i'd be so damn close to all of it.

Like Dr. Watson said, the 'Con is on the way. you take 50 through and all you have to do is a right turn off 50 to Ice House Rd. Then, if you wheel all the way through, it dumps you off on 89, wich hooks up to 50 in S. Lake Tahoe.

The hammers are a bit more off the beaten path, but they are 10 hours away for me, So i'mn gonna hit that no matter what on the way back.

maybe if 1 or 2 others wanted to run it with me, I'd do it. but i can't wheel all that on my own. I know I got a few guys for the Hammers, but the 'Con, no one seems to be in on...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Zakk
    I guess you were talking to the wrong people.
    I am game for this trip, and I am not worried like Tori about accomplishements, this is nothing compared to my dreams /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I can start to prepare for it putting money aside and preparing spare parts.
    As for a tow rig, I have that and we could have the option of towing the truck that brakes down, or worst case flat tow one behind the trailer /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Anyway, keep me in mind if you decide to do it.
    I guess you want at least one more to make it a go?
    My thing is I don't like to go a round trip on the same route that will be awesome, cover more ground, see more and not get bored by the same scenery /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I think i'm down for it. I'm going to see if i can secure a tow rig and trailer, but I dunno. Noel had a buddy with a Class A and All we'd have to do is pay for his desiel.

I still have a lot of logistical issues. I think I can afford it, but we'll see.

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think i'm down for it. I'm going to see if i can secure a tow rig and trailer, but I dunno. Noel had a buddy with a Class A and All we'd have to do is pay for his desiel.

I still have a lot of logistical issues. I think I can afford it, but we'll see.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're talking about the trailer that can take 3 rigs?
    Yeah Wes told me about it, and we were thinking about it, but we can only do this if Noel and Wes want to do the same route /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I think Noel would be up to it, Wes... maybe too, I will ask him.

14. Stephen

Talk some more of the norcal weenies into coming with you, Hwy 50 can't be much if any longer than running down to vegas and back up to Moab. And if you just putt-putt through it, the 'con's not too big a deal, even greg could handle that.
    Man am I talking some smack here or what!

15. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah you hang with us for a few days and look what you have become /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Anyway, I'm a norcal weenie and want to go!!!

16. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Did I hear someone say NorCal weenies /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So say for some reason I was able to join you on your oddesey /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif.The Con leg of the tour,are you going all the way through or in and then back out the same way?

17. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Hey you NorCal weenies didn't make it into Four Wheeler's club listing while your SoCal brothers did. You weenies slacking down there? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifhe he, saying weenies makes me laugh /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Talk some more of the norcal weenies into coming with you, Hwy 50 can't be much if any longer than running down to vegas and back up to Moab. And if you just putt-putt through it, the 'con's not too big a deal, even greg could handle that.
    Man am I talking some smack here or what!

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif OUCH! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

20. Stephen

Is it going to work? Are we going to see pics of your K5 on the 'Con?

You would have to be pretty careful, I'd say you need bumpers and rocker protection, and since Zakk's been there a couple times now, he could tell you the places to go to keep it straight. Like avoid little sluice and old sluice.