Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How safe on the streets are these lifts, 4, 6in

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by anatomiczero, Dec 29, 2001.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

I'm figuring out what I want in a Blazer, it's gonna be my daily driver and I want to beable to go fast in it (burn those civics if it's possible lol) and moderate offroading. How safe is a 6" suspension lift on the streets as in roll overs etc? Is a 2.5" the best choice for what I want to do or is a 4" better? One more question, How good is visiblity with a high lift, like driving around parking lots etc.?

<a target="_blank" href=http://autotrader.com/findacar/vdetail.jtmpl?car_id=80337309&amp;dealer_id=&amp;certified=n&amp;max_price=&amp;start_year=1981&amp;end_year=1983&amp;address=98002&amp;search_type=used&amp;make=CHEV&amp;model=BLAZER&amp;min_price=&amp;distance=200&amp;advcd_on=n&amp;advanced=n&amp;car_year=1982&amp;ac_afflt=none>http://autotrader.com/findacar/vdetail.jtmpl?car_id=80337309&amp;dealer_id=&amp;certified=n&amp;max_price=&amp;start_year=1981&amp;end_year=1983&amp;address=98002&amp;search_type=used&amp;make=CHEV&amp;model=BLAZER&amp;min_price=&amp;distance=200&amp;advcd_on=n&amp;advanced=n&amp;car_year=1982&amp;ac_afflt=none</a>

----------------------------------
    soon to have a blazer/jimmy

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

If you want to race, don't get a blazer! In a straight line it is probaly ok but never in corners, even without a lift would kinda be dangerous!

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    BUILT NOT BOUGHT
    <font color=red>MERRY CHRISTMAS</font color=red>

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I gotta a 6" lift and love it. You can see over everyone and really look down on them. As far as safety... I got in an accident with it and I sprayed over my scratch mark. The Tempo had $2500 in damage.... I'd rather worry about roll over safety in my Blazer then if my car was gonna fall apart on impact in a wreck....

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I'm in shape.... round is a shape......

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

to me this is one of those times where you cant have it both ways. If I was going to race around in my blazer (sick thought to me, personally), I'd LOWER the thing. Thats the only way it would be even close to safe.

For off-roading, naturally, you want to be lifted so big tires will fit etc.

When I was in high school I had a 78 F150....i tried to go both ways...fast racey thing AND 4x4...believe me, it doesnt work. Pick a type of driving you wanna do and go for it.

As far as civic drivers. Every time I see one, with its "phat" little I-iwsh-I-had-a-v8 exhaust systems and the driver looking like he thinks he's Mr. Cool...I laugh histerically at them, seriously.

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

5. anatomiczero

Umm, I'll forget about theracing thing, I just ment straight line like at red lights.
    Thanks for the input about 6" Steph, anyone else have 6" lift for daily driver? How's about roll over with them? I won't be doin heavy offroading so maybe 2.5" or 4" would be better?

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have about 5" of lift and had the speedo pegged at 85 which was actually about 75 to 77mph. I was on a highway going straight and it was pretty stable but I won't drive it that fast to often. I believe they are safe to drive and as long as it is a straight line light to light deal you should be ok. The big thing is to get used to the truck and how it feels before tring anything like that with it. As far as parking lots go just get into the habit of looking around your truck when you go to get in to see what is near you. Backing up is the hardest part to get used to.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I would never go with a 6" for a daily driver (BTW Steph doesn't drive her Blazer every day that is what her car is for). If you arn't going to be wheel'n it that much why even lift it at all...slap some 33" tires on it, trim the fenders, and call it a day. If you do want to lift it I would have to say go with a 4" (even though I think that would be too much for what you intend to do with it) because of how versitile that lift hight is.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

8. anatomiczero

The reason why I was thinking about the lift is because there's a lot of nice Blazers in my area for sale that happen to be lifted. I'll stay away from them I guess.

9. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

I want the "310 hp Turbo 400" for my truck!

1 ton '87 Chevy SWB in the making!

10. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't stay away from the lifted truck- first off a Blazer is not a race rig- if you think your gonna have it win tons of races, think again...Even with the 410 in the add you have linked- 4.10 gears- BIG truck, with big rubber to be pullin around with "only" 310 horse- as for lifting a truck its all in your preference- Steph's 6" she takes off road- I personally have a 4" suspensin and a 3" body- and I don't take it off road- Does it ride like a cadi? does it feel as safe as our new truck- yes and no- If you do the lift properly- dont botch it all up- use the right parts, you can have a truck that is lifted, and feels safe on the street- Would I ever take an off-ramp at 60 MPH? not very likely- I have never personally felt as though the truck was ready to roll- but I also don't ack like an a** when I'm driving it either- Learn the trucks limitations- and work from there. Remember- just becuase its big, doesnt mean it has to be roll-over ready!

good luck!
    Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

11. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

A vehicle is only as safe as the driver. Give me a chance and I will roll a Vette.

I have 9 in. under my Blazer, and 38 Swampers that I have been driving 30 plus miles each way to work and back. I took it thru the drivethru at Burger king the other day and cleared the 8' 3" over head bar by a few inches. I dont try to run 80 MPH, (altho I could if I wanted to) I just run along at the speed limit, what ever it may be.

Leave plenty of room between you and the next car in front and keep your eyes open.

I have had to ditch dive w/ the Blazer once already, I looked off the road (my stupidity) and the car in front of me stood on the brakes to not miss a turn.(their stupidity) I slowed as much as I could hit the ditch at about 30, got completely off the road so I wasnt in the grass and on the road, and drove around them and came back on the road and never broke stride.

If you drive responsibly the biggest thing you have to fear is the other morons on the road. The closest call I had was my own mom pulling out in front of me when I was doing about 45. I almost rolled that time. Didnt realize it was her till it was all over. It would have been her fault for pulling out in front of me, BUT I make it my own responsibility to trash my own rig to not hit someone, if need be, to avoid killing them by running them over. I chose to build it the way it is and I see it as being my job to not hurt anyone, even if it would be their fault.

On the other hand, if you rearend me.......read my sig.

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

12. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

ckeck sig

some things are made for racing others aren't!

<font color=blue>85 blazer</font color=blue> 4" lift, 35" pro comp mt, locked out back for the trails and snow!]b]
    <font color=blue>88 blazer</font color=blue>mostly stock for trails and snow
    <font color=blue>99 30th ann. TA</font color=blue> racing
    <font color=blue>79 TA</font color=blue> cruiser<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by GONZO2 on 12/29/01 05:20 PM.</FONT></P>

13. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've had 2 daily drivers with 4" lift and 33s or 35s (with a little trimming) at various times. I liked them and had no problems. However, you must be aware that you have a high center of gravity and adjust your driving accordingly. Whipping the wheel on the highway or taking turns/off-ramps too fast can roll you. That is true even without the lift in any SUV type vehicle or truck, lift just makes it more likely. Big tires also take longer to stop so no tailgating or last minute stops at lights. 3/4 or 1 ton brakes help allot in the stopping department.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

14. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I drive my 6" lift and 38" tires everyday......I drive responsibly...considering the already bad press we have about roll overs anyway .....I look at your question like this......the vehicle is going to have more body roll, literally, in race vehicles you dont want that......have you ever ridin in race only vehicle? Not a punk rice rocket or even worse ....wanna be ghetto rice that has stickers and seatbelt muffs that some how equal 150+hp......they all have marginal/bad hook up time one the line..... the real rice racers and bavarin concrete queens that I help build and race now all hurt your arse when you drive daily... leave the carving of corners to them.....But if you must race a big truck get a Traxxas T-maxx

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/thatguydrew23>http://community.webshots.com/user/thatguydrew23</a>
    "JEEP....SO GIRLY, BARBIE HAD TO HAVE IT"

15. anatomiczero

Thanks for the replies, I won't be driving it fast, I guess that will keep me away from the tickets too hehe. But a part of me wants a sporty car (can't get insured under mustangs/camaros v8) so I though about getting a Honda Civic or the CRX which can be sorty and get 40 mpg apposed to 10 like a Blazer. But I want something safer like a Blazer and can go anywhere ...ah tough decisions

16. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Actually once I get my new axles under it next month the Neon will be gone and the Blazer will be all I drive... unless I can't afford gas because I see them jerks are sneaking the price back up there.... but even paying for that gas will be cheaper then the insurance for the Neon.... That's why I am dumping it... my insurance is half for the Blazer then the Neon plus I feel so much safer in it.... yes you can roll it and it can be dangerous if you go too high... but a Honda can be deadly if you trying to race on a street going 90mph. I think it's more on the driver and the drivers ability to realize you gotta use your head and not drive around like an idiot... if you don't think anything you drive will be asking for trouble....
    (PS my mom just got a Civic today- way better then the CRX we test drove!)

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I'm in shape.... round is a shape......

17. jekbrown

nuttin wrong with 6" of lift on a daily driver...my rig is gonna have 5" of suspension lift (on monday!), and 1" of body and its my only vehicle. =) I dont drive every single day...but its a dailydriver for all intents and purposes. =p

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

18. jekbrown

nuttin wrong with 6" of lift on a daily driver...my rig is gonna have 5" of suspension lift (on monday!), and 1" of body and its my only vehicle. =) I dont drive every single day...but its a dailydriver for all intents and purposes. =p

Jason

19. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

not sure how much you have to spend, but why not get both?
    my blazer is my winter daily driver and my cars are summer daily drivers.
    you can get a decent blazer for like 3k and maybe a used sporrts car for 3-4k. just keep them both on liability ins. only and it won't cost too much.
    oh, and i know you said you wouldn't, but even stop light racing in a civic can be dangerous. keep racing on the track where it belongs.

<font color=blue>85 blazer</font color=blue> 4" lift, 35" pro comp mt, locked out back
    <font color=blue>88 blazer</font color=blue>mostly stock
    <font color=blue>99 30th ann. TA</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>79 TA</font color=blue>

20. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

My buddy has kind of a race 86 k20. It has a 4" lift and 33s, so it can do some wheeling, but it has a 502 with 550 hp and a 100 shot of N20. Thats thing hauls a$$. doesnt turn that well because its a truck but straight line it can take new camaros :)

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>