Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How should I clean/paint these valve covers?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TX Mudder, Dec 16, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Edelbrock valve covers

I got these off ebay.
    I have seen those black crinkle finishes before and they look nice. Can I buy that in a rattle can? From where?
    So, clean them with soap and water, paint with black crinkle (or black engine enamel if I can't find the other stuff) then sand the fins down for contrast to the black.

Sound OK?
    Any tips?
    Not much on my truck is for appearance so I don't have much experience witht his type of thing.

Main reason I bought these is that I have crappy chrome valve covers....and I hate chrome.
    -- Mike

2. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

powder coat them to match the engine color /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't mind that. My engine is Hugger Orange, same as half all Chevy engines at least /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    You can powder coat aluminum?
    Next dumb question - is this a common service available? I live in Houston, but have no idea where to look for this.
    Still interested in the crinkle stuff, too. Don't want to spend a ton of money, as always.
    -- Mike

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Most custom Harley shops can do powder coating. You can also do it at home, but it stinks. (Or atleast the stuff I used did)