Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How should I go about making my hood scoop functional?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, Apr 26, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

As most of you have seen, my truck has a hood scoop on it from a Furd... I'd like to make it functional without the worry of water and snow getting in my engine, which would majorly suck... anyone have any ideas? I've thought of the Camaro SS air cleaner deal, but I don't know where I can find one for cheap (read free.) How would you guys do this?? right now, I just have a big ass air dam on the front of the truck that gives it even less mileage... getting that air to be functional when it tries to lift my hood (or rerouting it somehow) would improve my fuel economy greatly.

2. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

a picture of the scoop...

[​IMG]

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, the early 80's Camaro's (around '81-?) apparently had a functional "power bulge" hood, that could be had on the carbed and cross fire injected cars. Perhaps you could get some ideas from that setup?

Really, making your own, you'd need to route that incoming air into an "outer" air filter housing that would then route the air through an actual air filter, and into the carb(?). This will be difficult if that scoop is right over the carb.

If you route the incoming air into an air cleaner housing that allows rain, etc., to "settle out" first, that should solve most issues with ingesting water. I don't see ingested water in any "rainstorm" quantity being an issue, but GM apparently had issues with the ram-air setup on the early Firebirds and ingesting junk. I've sprayed water into a running engine to see if it would free up carbon as claimed, and it didn't even faze the engine. Not sure why a squirt bottle right into the carb would be any different than rain.