Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How should I race through the bog?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigerik, Mar 10, 2001.

1. bigerik

bigerik 1/2 ton status

On March 17th I will be running my trucks though the mud bogs in a timed event. Although it's my first time, I want to win. A guy I know puts his Jeep in 1st gear in 4 Low and floors it, never shifting gears. How would you do it? Both trucks have warmed 350s, 5.13s and shift kits in the auto trannies. One truck is a TH400/NP208 with 39.5X18 Boggers and one is TH350/NP203 with 38.5X14.5 TSL/SXs. Both fullsize, 1 ton SWB Chevys will be in the event. I was thinkin' maybe put the tranny in 2, t-case in 4 Low and floor it. I'm not worried about blowing the engines. My trucks can be seen at http://www.bigerik.coloradoK5.com . Please give me tips; I can even rearrange the tires and put the Boggers in rear of both. The mud is very deep--you've seen 'em!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by bigerik on 03/13/01 05:32 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

What kind of mud bogs are they? You said that the pits were very deep yet its a timed event. Is there a possibility that you wont make it thru? Or is it made to get thru in the fastest time? The races we run up here are max 2' deep pits, so everyone makes it thru (pretty much) and so I run these pits in 4hi drive. That way you get the most speed you can hence the fastest time. I tried it in 4lo drive and ran out of speed and revs before I was 3/4 way thru. If the pits are deep and you have to work to get thru or even dont make it, you want to get as far as possible. I would run these in 4lo, maybe 2nd so you have lots of torque and a good amount of tire spin. It depends on the mud too, in the shallow pits, if there is a lot of water, or if its very thick mud, that will change the strategy as well.
    I suggest talking to the experienced guys that are there, listen in when they are checkin out the pits, and watch what strategies they are using.

Good luck

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

3. bigerik

bigerik 1/2 ton status

It's funny, the first few trucks rarely make it through. As more trucks pass through, it must displace some of the mud because by the time the last few trucks go through, it looks real easy! I forgot to say both trucks have Detroit rears and TracLok fronts. I think Thumper had good advice. Thanks. Anybody else? I seriously want to win. My wife, by the way, is concerned about my comment about blowing the engines [​IMG]. The mud is thick, but I don't know how deep.

4. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

The mud will always change conditions from race day to race day and even from beginning to end of the same day. Most Pro pits are 150' long and that helps knowing when dialing in your truck. Does the sanctioning body wet the pits down during intermission? Does the mud have any rocks in it? Is the mud usually thick and goey or watery and thin? Do you draw for starting positions, if so think about when to register. If not drawing for positions then register late so you can be one of the last to run and have a faster time. Remember all of these things and listen (eavesdrop) on other more experienced drivers in the pits. Also don't be afraid to talk to other crews as most are more than willing to help out a new driver and crew get their feet wet. Stay track side as much as possible to watch the other trucks as they go through and if possible try and watch the drivers inside the trucks to how hard they are working the wheel or if they are shifting or not.

There are alot more things than this to do if you really want to be competitive, but this will help. Oh and a trick I used to use while spending 9 years on the pro circuit is to get a 2 gallon hand held pump up type lawn sprayer and fill with half used motor oil and half diesel fuel. Spray down the underside of your rig and the inside and outsides of the tires and rims, this helps your rig slide through the mud and keeps most of the mud from sticking to it. That initself will help by not having dried mud on the undercarriage for your second run through the pits and it makes cleanup after the races easier too!! Also wrap your front hubs in Duct tape to help keep the water out of them.

Good Luck
    David 75K5
    http://www.extremeblazer.com

[​IMG]

5. bigerik

bigerik 1/2 ton status

Thanks to Thumper and Gold Rush for the great tips. I plan to use them, give it my all and take a win for us K5ers.

6. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

hey,, i used to race a full size long bed in the bog's around here,,,i had a very highly modified 400/350/205 combo,,we had 6" lift and 35's,,i used to run it in 4wd hi,,but i kept the tranny in first gear,,i think they were 4.11's,,but you want to leave the line as hard as possible,,and keep your tire speed up,,if you can spin the tires once in the pit at a high rpm,,you will be more likely to gain some ground than just turning them slowly trying to push through the mud,,,if you hit the pit at a good speed you might be able to "float" over the pit some and move farther along,,,just try to follow the exact same path as the guy before you... oh yeah,,,don't forget to drop all the air outta your tires too,,,we used to run our's at around 12 lbs.,,just enough to keep them beaded...neautral drop's off the line work pretty good but they are very hard on thing's if you bite like you should,,,god i miss class 7 and 8 racing,,,nothing like the sound of a small block on nitrous at 9500 rpm's [​IMG]
    anyone ever seen the "napa" mud racer with the big ass wing??? that was my buddies racer,,i had a lot of fun playing with that thing,,never got to drive it in a race but i did get a few chances at our own "home made" mud bog's,,,talk about a kick in the pant's,,man that thing launches hard!!!

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

You have a lot of good advice here. It does depend on the pit.We also have two types of pits that are run. One is more of a drag race at 18" thick mud and the second ( which is where I race) is the very thick mud, 5 foot deep at the end, 225 foot pit. Do try to be one of the last ones to run if you are able to. With the Blazer I will run it 4low and take off in second. You won't have much time or opportunity to shift, especially if you are starting to bog down in the deeper end. You need to get that wheelspin going and keep it going. Horsepower is what will usually get you through at the end.
    Good luck and let us know how you do.

Theresa

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com/>http://www.whiteknight.scriptma
    nia.com
    </A>