Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How should I weld the '73 window frame on my '89 K5?

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by TruckNutzDude, Jul 3, 2004.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

How should I weld the \'73 window frame on my \'89 K5?

I need to get this done before the summer is over. I've got the windshield frame from a '73 K5 I scrapped but it's rotted about 3/4 of the way down so I have nothing lower than that. I plan on cutting verticly down the window frame on both pieces, to spread the stress from the welded seam a little more. It's very hard for me to describe what I want to do without pics. Could anyone give me some suggestions or drawings of what I should do? Thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Re: How should I weld the \'73 window frame on my \'89 K5?

when you do a window frame, like when you chop the top on a car you have to cut horizontal and find a pice of square tubing that will fit the ID of the frame, tack it in place, than slide the 73 frame over it , than you have to drill 3 holes on the truck part of the post and 3 holes on the 73 frame part and fill those with weld. Thats how i was taught how to do it in my auto body class. I think it is I-CAR is the guide lines you follow to do this, but that was in high school so im not extally shure that is right

3. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I second that. I know of a body shop that does this and they just cut the windshield frame at the mid point stuff a piece of square tubing (about a foot long) inside the existing frame, weld it in place,slide the full convert. frame over that and weld it to the square tube. The body shop had one they just completed and the guy supported his full weight on the frame without it budging.

Also, make sure you take measurements of the existing frame opening so when you put the full convert on the seal will be nice and snug. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. TruckNutzDude

What size steel do you think would be best? I don't want to hack the roof off and then find out I got the wrong size square stock /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

5. ZK5

ZK5 1/2 ton status

I cant imagine it would be much bigger than 1/2" square tube. Probly won't know for sure until ya actuly cut the frame.

6. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

let me know what you find out, I'm doing the same to mine as well... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif will be around the first of the year when I'm done...

7. stick

stick Registered Member

got some 1/2" and 3/4" tubing . the 1/2" is loose and the 3/4" is too tight to fit. doing mine right now. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

i used some 3/4" thin wall round tubing. I used my trusty Estwing hammer to oval it a bit and tapped it into the hollow part of the windshield frame.

[​IMG]

One thing that is a little tough is that the frame is not 'square'. So, when you go to slide the pegged frame into the remains of the old frame the pegs will not line up. For this reason I drove the pegs a little deeper into the donor frame, then used a 'C' clamp to squeeze the bottom of the donor frame until the pegs would drop into the bottom half on the truck.

My first welds were in the slight gap I had fusing the frame to the pegs, then filled in the rest and ground it smooth.

I triple checked the inside dimensions of the windshield opening before tacking anything. IIRC it was 23.5" from the edge of the frame upper to lower. I marked two places about 8-10" inboard of the sides and measured there on each side.

My brother-in-law came over yesterday and spent 5 minutes or more staring at the windshield frame trying to find where I spliced it. He finally gave up and asked me where the splice was...and I didn't use any bondo or filler either./forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Rene

9. TruckNutzDude

Thanks for the update. That looks like a very simple way to do things. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Did you weld the 3/4" tube to the frame by drilling plus holes or did you just leave it how it was and weld the spliced frame only? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. sponsoredbydad

sponsoredbydad Dune Slaying Sand Junkie Premium Member GMOTM Winner

THIS IS THE POST I NEEDED I WAS KINDA FREEKIN OUT ABOUT HOW TO DO THIS.EVERYBODY HERE IS GREAT. THANKS /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif MY69

11. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    THIS IS THE POST I NEEDED I WAS KINDA FREEKIN OUT ABOUT HOW TO DO THIS.EVERYBODY HERE IS GREAT. THANKS /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif MY69

[/ QUOTE ]

NO NEED TO YELL DUDE!!! WE CAN ALL READ WHAT YOU'RE SAYING WITHOUT THE CAPS!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I had to do it... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

12. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for the update. That looks like a very simple way to do things. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Did you weld the 3/4" tube to the frame by drilling plus holes or did you just leave it how it was and weld the spliced frame only? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't drill any holes for spot welds. I figured as long as it got welded somewhere it'd do the same job. It was a pretty snug fit, so they won't go anywhere anyways. I had enough gap to fuse the round tube to both parts of the frame when welding anyways.

The hardest part was squeezing the frame in a bit to get the pegs started...I was worried I'd bend it or something. It's stronger than it looks though.

Rene

13. BowtieBlazer

Seems to me the hardest part of all of it will be aligning the 73 frame with the existing frame to get the exact shape of the windsheild....specifically maintaining a factory fit on all parts of the frame....where did you measure from for reference points before cutting the old, and then the new???

14. tRustyK5

Before I cut the old frame I measured in three or four spots to survey the opening size. I started about 12" in from the side, then measured every foot or so (top to bottm dimension was 23.5") i measured without the glass is the frame (kinda obvious /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif) and without the window rubber either. I made sure to measure where the edges were good, cuz in some places it was a bit rusty/scaly.

The pins being a snug fit helped keep the winshield frame at the correct angle. Once it was sitting there on the pins I just verified I had the same 23.5" in the same places and tacked it up.

Seems harder than it really was. In fact the cutting of the old frame and new frame was the hardest part IMO. I used a stretchy string line from post to post. I made sure it was dead straight by measuring from the edge of the string line to the edge of the frame and then marked it. I tried to keep my cuts 90 degrees to the side posts on both. I did still have a slight gap though, but it helped more than it hurt.

HTH

Rene

15. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

Hey Rene, I'm glad to see that you were able to use that old window surround. Please post up somemore pics so that I can see how it all turned out. I still haven't done mine.
    T-roy

16. BowtieBlazer

Next question, what did you use to cap the bed rail where the cab connected to the bed rail? I've been thinking of splicing the end caps off the old tub and criss crossing them side to side for cover.... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

17. tRustyK5

A patch panel can be made easily enough. most parts stores sell flat pieces of 20-22 guage sheet as small as 6x10 and up to 48x48 here anyways.

My truck is a total frankenstein. A couple years ago I spliced the rear half of a '73 Blazer onto the front half of my 81 Jimmy. Welded the 'B' pillars to the top of the bedsides and called it good. So when I removed the steel half cab my box sides were already capped. The only part of the body that hasn't been replaced on my truck is the firewall/cowl area. It's hard to answer honestly when sombody asks what year my truck is...

Rene

18. BowtieBlazer

[ QUOTE ]
    My truck is a total frankenstein.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thats what I was dealing with as far as rust thats why I found this cleaner rig to tinker with...